Help with Memory Card

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by No Regrets, Mar 6, 2012.

1. No Regrets macrumors regular

Hello,

I'm new to both Macbook Pros and photography. I took some photos with my digital camera today and just learned how to transfer them from my memory card to iPhoto.

My question now is this.....What is the correct and safe way for me to "eject" or "remove" the memory card from the MBP without causing harm to the card or computer?

Do I just simply pull it out of the MBP's slot, or are there certain things to click on before removing the card?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
    No Regrets

2. MacaDroid macrumors member

To eject the memory card properly you can either secondary click the icon on your Desktop and choose "Eject", or you can drag that icon down to your Trash icon on your dock which will turn into an eject symbol, and eject the memory card. Hope this helps! :apple:

3. No Regrets, Mar 6, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2012

No Regrets thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for your reply. I feel really stupid.....I cannot find the icon. How do I find it, what does it look like?

I'm so sorry for my ignorance and truly appreciate you trying to help me.

Edited to add information:

I've clicked on the Finder icon at the bottom of my screen (looks like a face), then I clicked on "desktop" but then nothing shows up.

4. MacaDroid macrumors member

No problem at all :D.
    Alright, so when I say desktop I am referring to what you actually see when you have no applications open, it is basically your computer when you turn it on. When you plug your memory card in you should see a little icon pop up on there, it will most likely look like your memory card. That is the icon that I am referring to, so you can secondary click that icon like I told you, or you can drag it down to the Trash icon which will also eject it. Lemme know if that helps at all. :apple:

5. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

It's possible that your computer has been set up to no show drives on the desktop, try opening a new finder window and at the very bottom under <YOUR> computer it should display all drives plugged in. If it doesn't show up there and you're not running anything that's accessing the card, just pull it out, you'll be fine.

6. Freyqq macrumors 68040

1. open a finder window
    2. on the left side, under "Macintosh HD," there should be another drive with a white icon. The name should be the name of your SD card
    3. click eject next to that drive, or right click and click eject

7. No Regrets thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you MacaDroid for you understanding as well as your help. So I closed everything out and logged off the computer, shut it down and then restarted it. No icon showed up. Then iPhoto came up on its own and now for the first time, I saw an icon on that screen with the name: no name device and it had a little eject symbol next to it. I assumed that this was what I've been looking for so I clicked on the eject symbol and pulled the memory card out. It looks as if this worked okay.

Thank you for trying so hard to help me understand. Slowly but surely, I will get the hang of things. It is nice to have this community to turn to for help. You all have been great!

Best regards,
    No Regrets

8. Takashi macrumors regular

Follow everyone's advice in the previous posts and you will be fine. Incidentally, if you are really worried, you can shut down your computer (not hibernate, or sleep) and then remove the card out of the slot (or out of the card reader) after your computer tuns off for 5 seconds. This method is most likely the safest way for your computer as it removes power to the memory card and all USB accessories.

9. No Regrets thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you Interstella5555 for your reply. I tried this and still nothing showed up. It's good to know that I could just pull it out and not hurt anything.

Your help is much appreciated!

Best regards,
    No Regrets

10. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

open a finder window, so you menu bar is for "finder" than click finder and than Preferences, than on the Sidebar tab see whats ticked off

11. No Regrets thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you Freyqq for your reply and your help. I did as you instructed, however after I clicked on the Macintosh HD, nothing showed up. There must be something in my settings that is hiding this icon from showing up for me.

After trying everyone's suggestions ( which I am very thankful for ) after shutting down the computer and restarting it, iPhoto came up on its own and I finally saw the icon at the left of screen with an eject symbol. This finally worked for me.

Thank you for taking the time to try and help me with this. You are all great!

Best regards,
    No Regrets

----------

Hello Takashi.

This route sounds like the safest and at least in my particular situation, the easiest way for me to go.

Thank you much to you and everyone who's tried helping me through this.

Best regards,
    No Regrets

----------

Thank you iisforiphone for your reply.

I just did what you instructed and under devices it showed no check for my MBP, a - for hard disk, and a check for External disks, and a check for CD,DVD, and iPods.

Best regards,
    No Regrets

12. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

check them all, than also either on that tab or the general one you should see, show hard drives on the desktop, check this if you want the Icon that others posts are describing

13. No Regrets thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you iisforiphone. I just did as you instructed. I think that this will take care of me. I have to leave for an appointment now, but when I return I will try inserting the card and see what happens.

Thank you very much for your help!!!

Best regards,
    No Regrets

14. No Regrets thread starter macrumors regular

I just wanted to follow up quick and let everyone know that the icon is now showing up and I am able to eject it correctly.

Thank you for every taking the time to help me through this. You all have been great with me!

Best regards,
    No Regrets