Help with messed up shell configuration

Discussion in 'macOS' started by miguell, Apr 12, 2009.

1. miguell macrumors newbie

Hi,

Yes, I know I shouldn't be messing up with it in the first place :-(

But I edited ~/.bash_profile

originally the contents where:
    Code:
    PATH='/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/':$PATH
    export PATH
    change it to:
    Code:
    PATH='/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/':/usr/bin/local/bin:$PATH
    export PATH
    I was following some instructions for using Python on the mac! Yes, I shoudn't be doing that, especially if I really don't know what is happening :-(

I did this change using pico in the terminal and afterwards I entered the command:
    Code:
    .~/.bash_profile
    in order to update the shell. That's when the **** hit the fan! Having a little clutter I entered the command (to clear screen):
    Code:
    clear
    Guess what happened? Nothing. Upps. I tried to re-edit .bash_profile with pico. Where's pico! It seems I have lost access to some standard shell commands and applications. Any help in getting those back?

Txs for any help,
    Miguel

2. LPZ macrumors 65816

Doesn't sound like a big problem. Seems you messed up your PATH variable so invoking pico and clear is temporarily harder. First, you should be able to start pico from Terminal, by entering

/usr/bin/pico

at the command prompt. Similarly,

/usr/bin/clear

should invoke clear.

If you get pico working, try editing your ~/.bash_profile to

Code:
    PATH="/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:${PATH}"
    export PATH
    Then enter

.~/.bash_profile

3. miguell thread starter macrumors newbie

Reconfiguring the shell

Hi,

Thanks LPZ, that hit the spot!

Still haven't find a proper reference to the shell or mac osx (do I mean Darwin?) operating system.

Clearly, ~/.bash_profile is local user configuration, so if one erases it system configuration kicks back in (after restarting the shell). So that is what I did. And then recreated the original ~/.bash_profile so that I could still have Python on.

All work great, though I still shouldn't be doing that :-(

Miguel