Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KKStoklund

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2013
Denmark
I'm looking to purchase the mid-2014 high end 13 inch Macbook Pro Retina. Is it worth spending the extra money to upgrade the processor from 2.8GHz i5 to 3.0 GHz i7?

Can anyone tell what the differences are between the two? And what about the ram? Does 16gb make a big difference compared to 8gb?
I'm not gonna use it for any heavy editing. Mostly gonna use it for school, web and mail but I'd also like to run Windows 7 through Bootcamp as I use some programs that only work with Windows.

I'm also thinking about future software updates. Won't the 3.0 GHz i7 processor be noticeably faster than the 2.8Ghz i5 in, say, 3 years when software requires better hardware?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Given your stated usage, I'd say 8GB and there's no need to upgrade the processor. you'll really not notice any huge speed difference in real world usage between the two processors.

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
There is no need to upgrade either the RAM or CPU for your uses. You wouldn't notice any difference at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.