Help with migration problems would be appreciated!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Ish, Nov 1, 2007.

1. Ish macrumors 68010

Ish

Bought a new mac yesterday which came with Tiger and a Leopard update in the box. Last night I powered it up and installed Leopard. Today I bought a firewire cable and used migration assistant to transfer files but didn't see a way to select just what I wanted. Only the HD icon showed and when I clicked that everything came over.

The apps are in the apps folder where they're supposed to be but the old home folder is under Users and the new one is empty. The iTunes and iPhoto folders are empty, as is Address Book.

How do I get out of this mess? :( I'm a one computer every few years person so tend to forget how I did it last time. Do you think it best if I went to Disk Utility, erased and started again? Would I then reinstall from the two disks that came with the Mac? What should I then do differently?

Is it better to move things over and get it working before upgrading to Leopard? I'm assuming it's only a 'partial' Leopard on the disk that will upgrade Tiger but not work on it's own.

Apologies that I asked this question earlier but I realised that posting at the end of an oldish thread probably wasn't the best place to ask something urgent! Thanks.

2. Hanso macrumors newbie

Copying files using Firewire

If I understand you correctly, here is what you do:

1. Connect New and Old computer via firewire

2. Start New computer

3. Start OLD computer holding down the "T" key

4. The Old computer will then appear on the desktop of the NEW computer.

5. Copy files from the Old to the New (or, indeed, the new to the old)

3. Ish thread starter macrumors 68010

Ish

Thank you, Hanso. Steps 1-4, so far, so good. Maybe it was that last step. The hard drive icon appeared in the migration assistant and I clicked on that. Sounds as though I should have clicked on the hard drive icon on the desk top instead. How to undo, how to undo . . ?

4. Hanso macrumors newbie

Ish, forget about the "migration assistant" as such, if all you want to do is transfer various files and applications.

After you follow steps 1-4, then you'll have an icon of your "Old" hard drive on your new desktop. Click that icon to open, and you should see everything that is on your old hard drive. You can then copy to/from just as if you had another external disk drive plugged into firewire or USB port.