Help with mobile terminal commands

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by TSX, Jan 19, 2010.

1. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

I've been trying to copy a folder from my wifes iPhone to mine using mobile terminal (I'm trying to learn terminal). Does anyone know what the proper command to do this is? I've been trying to use "cp" but there's more to it I just don't know what or if that's even the right one.

2. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

hmm...i believe transferring a folder between one iphone to another, has to be done with sshing, then installing the file onto your home screen with mobileterminal. try googling that.

3. TSX thread starter macrumors 68030

TSX

Yea I know how to ssh iPhone to iPhone, my problem is I don't know the right command to to copy the file to mine.

4. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

5. TSX thread starter macrumors 68030

TSX

Like this? For example

cp ringtones /private/var/stash/ringtones/ [space] /private/var/stash/ringtones/

6. Kevinnijjar23 macrumors member

or you could just use the new iBluetooth program where you can transfer files from one phone to the other this program works great i highly recommend using this

7. foob macrumors 6502

foob

It's the same as cp but to do it over ssh you use the scp command like this:
    scp file.txt mobile@IPADDRESS:/var/mobile

Just change IPADDRESS to the real IP.

If you're trying to move a whole directory, use the -r (recursive) option

scp -r /private/var/stash/ringtones/ mobile@IPADDRESS:/var/mobile

That will copy your whole ringtones directory into /var/mobile/ringtones on the second phone.

8. TSX thread starter macrumors 68030

TSX

Thank You, I had been messing with this all day putting my ip address in helped. Thanks for everyones input

9. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

Another option is SFTP which I use a lot.

You just do sftp instead of ssh to connect then you browse to the directory on the remote device with "cd" and "ls" and then browse to the directory on the local device with "lcd" and "lls" (the extra l is for local). Then when you know what file you want to GET from the remote device you do "get filename" or if you know what file you want to PUT on the remote device you do "put filename".

It's just a different way of doing it. A bit more visual :D