Help with Monitor Choice!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Bodybag, May 28, 2009.

1. Bodybag macrumors newbie

Hi

I have just bought a new Macbook 2.4 GHz and want to buy an external monitor. I have noticed there are tons of monitors out there, but all say they are compatible with Windows, now I have never bought a Monitor before, does that mean I would have problems running off a Mac? or is it the case that everything fits with a Mac?

I also have the option of DVI or VGA... hmmmm... I understand them both but trying to work out whats best for me. I'm a designer at heart but quit the business and now run a bar in Switzerland. I do still design for them and for other businesses, but all I want is some help and advice in buying a good quality, reasonably cheap monitor that will fir with my MacBook....

So here I am, anyone got any suggestions... If it help I have been looking at LG 22" monitors....

Cheers

2. Badradio macrumors 6502

All you'll need to connect your Mac to a monitor is the appropriate mini-Display-Port-to-whatever-connection converter, which you can get from an Apple Store for £15. I'd go for DVI over VGA, or even HDMI if there's a chance you might want to run an XBox 360 through the monitor. As for size/resolution, that's a personal choice, and there are lots of threads around here discussing it from all angles.

As for LG, they make great monitors for the price, as do Samsung. If I remember correctly, most, if not all, branded monitors are using LG or Samsung panels anyway. I just recommended a Samsung 24" to a friend and he loves it.

Or you could spend large and get an Apple LED 24". They're amazing if you can stomach the price and the glassy screen.

3. a1sterling macrumors newbie

I was in a similar position with my new macbook and decided to go with the LED cinema display. I really love it. The screen looks great (I'm not a designer, so I don't really have any issues with gloss vs. matte). The best part is definitely its compatibility with the macbook. It syncs instantly and you can charge the macbook from the monitor (so I can leave me power cord in my travel bag). I then keep the wired apple keyboard plugged into the monitor (with the wired mighty mouse connected to the keyboard) and will be getting an external hard drive and keep it connected to the monitor.

Let me know if you have any questions.

4. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Anandtech's the LCD thread has a ton of information - you can scroll down towards the bottom for recommendations for whatever work you do with your iMac.

A price range/idea of what you do would also be nice. Furthermore, just because it is generally cheaper and in more monitors these days, DVI would probably be the best bet (unless you want to run an awesome Sony CRT :D)

5. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

HP makes really nice monitors and they look very similar to the Apple Cinema display.

6. Bodybag thread starter macrumors newbie

7. HBOC macrumors 68020

i picked up a hannspree (hannsG, same company) from best buy for $180. It is a 24", 1080P HD (1920x1080), and has HDMI and DVI inputs. I went to newegg.com and looked up the most similar model they had (newegg sells hannsG, best buy sells hannspree, so there will be little differences. HannsG got like 700 reviews and most are 5 eggs. I have been happy with it! The sound sounds hollow, but with some speakers, it is fine. It is eizo, but oh well:)

8. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

They're OK, but I would never get one.

Check out a Dell. I've got this one. If you want IPS, check out this one.

9. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

10. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

I have a Samsung 216BW (21.6 widescreen). It's got great character resolution for the price.

11. kajitox macrumors 6502a

kajitox

I ditto the Dell suggestions - the 22" recommended above and the 24" 2408WFP are solid monitors.

12. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

I recently sold off my Acer AL2216W. Got it last year, and for a TN panel, it was nice. If you are not doing any colour-critical work, any monitor will do - my only two cents is Make sure that there is another light on in the room. I get horrible eye strain with TN in the dark, IPS is a little better... That's just my sensitivities, though. I need another source of light to work with a monitor for extended periods. The monitor I have in my signature is really nice, the HP 24" is also nice - both are wide-gamut monitors, so that might make a bit of a difference.

If you do not require 1900 by 1080-or-1200 screen the Dell 2209WA comes with my recommendation. I would use it, but I work with 1080 material... the screen rez is 1680x1050. The only drawback in my opinion. No need for HD, the 2209WA is the best cheap monitor you can find.

13. PDE macrumors 68020

I just ended my search for a high quality 22" monitor by settling for the Dell 2209wa. For the price, it's hard to beat it: perfect uniformity, great color rendition, good contrast and brightness and a very good/adjustable design. The only negative I have experienced is a slight white glow from the side when viewing black/dark areas and sitting close. Otherwise it's simply superb. Even the design is fine and very unobtrusive

I considered the Apple LED display, HP LP2475, other Dell PVA displays and I also bought a Lenovo l220x which was superb but had quite visible corner bleed. lenovo support was among the worst I have experienced anywhere too, so I sold it and am happy not dealing with that company.

Unless you want to buy something very very expensive, like an Eizo for graphics, I think the Dell is among the best you can get right now at a reasonable price. The HP LP2475w is really nice and uses the same LCD as the Apple display, but the design is horrid to me and I wouldn't want to look at that monster everyday.