Help with Movie Formats

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by TrenttonY, Nov 5, 2013.

1. TrenttonY macrumors 6502a

I bought a movie on iTunes on my iPhone 5, (which I guess the iPhone 5 is 16:9?) no borders at all. A movie I ripped using Handbrake with the universal setting, the movie I ripped was 1.85:1. Little tiny borders appeared. So what movie should I get so no borders? a 16:9 filmed movie? I'm OCD about having all the same. Also is 16:9 the future? I know a lot of computers have those screens

2. linds15 macrumors 6502a

aspect ratio is up to the director, and how he wants the movie to be portrayed, doesn't have anything to do with how you import it. you can mess around with is but you'll be stretching or zooming out content

3. TrenttonY thread starter macrumors 6502a

But don't they come out with revised ones that can have a totally different format? Like special edition?

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

No, he is right. Since the 1950s, movies have been and will continue to be commonly shot in a variety of aspect ratios, all the way up to Panavision at 2.4:1. Widescreen movies are often cropped to 4:3 for television and "full screen" DVD releases, but this is an entirely bad thing, and fortunately we're seeing it less often now. Any movie that was shot wider than your screen aspect ratio should be shown letterboxed. This is the correct way to view it.

5. TrenttonY thread starter macrumors 6502a

If I rip a movie and put it on iTunes and "create new version, and "create iPod or iPhone version" what will that do crop it?

6. mpainesyd macrumors 6502

mpainesyd

7. TrenttonY thread starter macrumors 6502a

8. TrenttonY thread starter macrumors 6502a

How come my bought movie automatically fits my iPhone 5 screen? no black? When it says it was filmed with 1.85 : 1?

9. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Maybe because 1.85 : 1 is almost 16 : 9 (16.65 : 9 to be precise)?

10. The Mad Hatter macrumors 6502a

The Mad Hatter

If you really have a problem with the black bars, give the screen a double-tap, and it'll zoom to fill. Yes, you'll lose some picture on either end, but you'd end up with the same if they were re-formatted (or people will be tall and thin) take your pick.

HTH