Help With Movie Management

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by seancfuller, Aug 18, 2010.

1. seancfuller macrumors newbie

Hi,

I wanted too find out what the best way to manage my movies on my Macbook. I have well over a 1000 movies/ videos on my laptop. (This is when I click on finder, All Movies etc) These range from full movies to small movies that are imbedded in iPhoto. I was thinking about transferring them to a hardrive as they take up 90GB of my HDD but wanted to know what the best way to manage them is?

In the long run I want to make some movies and slide shows but i feel that there are just so many to manage at the moment. It also seems like the movies get duplicated when you create a new project?

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

2. UpQuark macrumors member

UpQuark

I would start by moving them to an external drive in a folder on that drive. When you open iMovie - it will search your external drive and then, on the upper left side, show you the external drive with your 'movies' folder listed there.

When you import a movie in to iMovie, you can leave it on your external drive, you don't have to move it to the internal one. It will create a 'copy' but that copy will be in a format that iMovie can change/update etc. So, you have a choice, you can ignore the duplicate or delete the work files when the editing is completed, keeping the original and final movie.

Good luck!

3. seancfuller thread starter macrumors newbie

That's great!! Thank you!!