help with moving files >4gb from mac to windows

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sk3pt1c, Nov 29, 2009.

1. sk3pt1c macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

so i have a few movies that are over 4gb that i wanna give to a friend, the problem is that he was a pc with windows...
    he won't read HFS+, i can't write files over 4gb to a FAT32 usb key and i can't write on an NTFS external drive that he has...
    so... is there a way around this or am i stuck?

2. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

Out of the box, Windows is not an FTP Server, but OS X is. You can turn on File Sharing under Sys Prefs > Sharing (& make sure firewall is not blocking the ftp port). Then in Options select FTP. You will get a warning that FTP is not secure...

If you're transferring across the internet, then a secure protocol would be safer which OS X supports OOTB, but I don't think Windows does.

3. sk3pt1c thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

I'm not looking to do this over the internet or a wireless network,
    the files sizes are too big for that, i'm looking for a way to physically
    transfer these files, either with a usb key or an external hard drive.
    If i wanted to do it over the internet i'd upload the files on my mobileme idisk
    or something...

4. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

If the external is formated in NTFS you shouldn't have a problem. Same goes for your usb key. What error are you getting? I transfer 4,5,6 gig files all the time to both an internal harddrive on another computer via my network and to a couple of external hard drives without any problems. Just need to make sure they are formated in NTFS not fat32.

5. sk3pt1c thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

The problem ia i hooked it up to my mbp and i can't write to the NTFS external dive my friend has...
    I read that os x can only read NTFS and read/write on FAT32…
    is that wrong?
    Also, my usb key is FAT32, i can't format it to NTFS with Disk Utility,
    is there another app that does that? (will i be able to revert it to FAT32 if i need to?)
    thanks

6. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Hmmm....

Ok.. you can try one of these programs. I haven't used them but someone else might chim in.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-10363434-263.html

Or you can split the files using split and concat. Transfer over the two smaller files and then re-concat them.

This is wierd, I wonder what the hell my drives are formatted as. I could of swore they were NTFS. Hmmmmm.

7. fishmoose macrumors 68000

There are some third party software to give OS X NTFS write support, can't remember the name of it though. But google for it, it's out there.

8. tooz macrumors 6502

NTFS-3G

9. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

That is one of them in my link..... Ha, I will have to check when I get home I wonder if I had this installed from the get go.........

10. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

11. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

12. sk3pt1c thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

Thanks for that link, you guys, but it's a bit of a hassle to do that every time i hook up an external NTFS drive on my mac…
    i'll have to give NTFS-3G a go…

alternatively i guess breaking the file up into multiple zip files is the way to go,
    like peopledo for torrent files... I'm sure stuffit should be able to do that, but i can't figure out how exactly...
    Otherwise, if you can suggest another program... :)

13. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Well, once for each drive, once it's added it stays in the configfile

14. sk3pt1c thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

15. mslide macrumors 6502a

I would bring the MBP over to his house, connect it to his computer via a wired network (not over the internet) and transfer the files over that way. Is that not an option?

16. vfx2009 macrumors newbie

I know this might be a while since you posted this for questioning/help...but I know an easy way to transfer files which might be larger than the ability for the MAC even in FAT32 format. I used to work at my college and the teacher told us this method. As long as you have a firewire on both computers your transferring to and from. Turn off the MBP, then connect the firewire to both computers while the transferring to computer is on. (Going to use the MBP as an external drive w/o doing anything to it). Turn the MBP on and when you see the screen light up, hold down the Y button as it is like the firewire symbol. The computer your transferring to (MAC) should show up with your laptop name as a drive, (PC) will basically install the drivers whic should be fine. From there, I used to put my files either on my desktop for easy finding or a folder which is easy to find as well, and transfer to the destinated computer! Than just do the usual thing to eject the external (MBP) disk. That's all to it! Hope it helps if I'm not TOO late.