help with music to a new Apple ID

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by elykoj, Dec 21, 2015.

1. elykoj macrumors regular

My daughter has her ipod touch linked to her moms Apple ID on her phone. She wants her own Apple ID but wants her music on her touch. Can her mom open up her iTunes account and drag my daughters music into a folder and then I can put it on a flashdrive and then load folder onto her laptop and then she can create her own Apple ID and then sync music back to her touch??

2. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

OK, this is how I would do it. Keep in mind, there are two types of accounts with Apple and they both use an email account. The AppleID is what is used for AppStore, Music Store, Apple Music type purchases. The iCloud account is used for calendars, contacts, email and such. The confusion for a lot people is that many times, both of these accounts use the same email, so it's often used interchangeably, but they are separate.

OK, I'm assuming that your daughter and her mom would like to continue to use the mom's AppleID so that they can share purchases for apps and music. But I guess your daughter wants to have her own contacts and calendars.

So have your daughter create her own iCloud account using her email address. She can continue to use her mom's AppleID for apps and music.

On your daughter's laptop, she would authorize her iTunes with her mom's AppleID. Then she can copy over the songs that she wants from her mom's iTunes to her own. Then she would sync her iPod to her iTunes.

This is how I have it set up with my account and wife.

Alternatively, you could set up Family Sharing, but I know very little as to how this works.

3. tjwilliams25 macrumors 6502

Personally, I would set up Family Sharing. That way, the daughter and her mom have different AppleIDs, but can share purchases. My wife and I have it set up and it makes it super simple to share apps and music.

4. elykoj thread starter macrumors regular

why would my 8 year old daughter and her mother want to share apps and music ?? really?

5. tjwilliams25 macrumors 6502

Sorry, I'm so used to sharing video and Apple Music that I forgot that iTunes music has been DRM free for years. Yes, to answer your question, you can take those files and put them on her laptop and subsequently her iPod, as long as they are iTunes Plus songs (which if they were purchased since around 2007, will be). The only thing your daughter can't do is redownload them without her mother's AppleID.

6. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Why not? It's better than paying twice for the same thing. Just because they can share apps and music, doesn't mean that they have to share all of their apps and music. Just anything that overlaps.

But it sounds like you/your daughter/her mom want a separate account altogether for your daughter. In that case, any music that is in her mom's iTunes can be copied over to your daughter's iTunes and sync'd with her iPod. Just copy over via your network or an appropriately sized thumb drive. The only thing is that anything bought from the iTunes store can't be shared.

Is that what you're looking for?

EDIT - oh yeah, i forgot about the DRM free music. But apps are still DRM'd and won't be sharable