Help with my Apple keyboard...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pun5302, Apr 6, 2007.

1. pun5302 macrumors newbie

I've searched all of the help files and can't figure out why my HOME and END buttons don't work on my external keyboard. On Windows keyboard I could home or end while in a search field etc. All home or end do now is go to the top or bottom of a web page. Do I have to do something to enable? Or do these buttons not perform the same functions as the windows HOME or END? Small thing... but very annoying. Any ideas?

2. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Apple Key + Right is the same as end, and Apple Key + Left is the same as home :) You'll get used to it.

3. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

I'm certainly not an expert, but I think home and end keys do different things on Mac and Windows (unless your running one of the Mac Office programs). I'd be interested to know if there is some way of changing this behavior to, as it's one of the few things I like on windows.

<edit> Oh yeah Killyp, I forgot about that!</edit>

4. pun5302 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes it is a very small annoying thing. I know from the help menu some of the "F" keys can be programmed to do functions but since I'm a newbie on my Mac (but loving it), I can't figure out if these actions can be programmed.

5. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

If you go into System Preferences > Keyboard & Mouse, you can configure any keyboard shortcut you want. :)

6. pun5302 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the info. Didn't know that apple + Right etc was the functions. I'll get used to it eventually. I'll try going into the preferences and see what I can do. :)

7. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

if it's a single-line search field (or like an address bar), pressing up will take up to the beginning of the line, and pressing down will take you to the end of the line.