Help with my built-in iSight camera

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pushten, Nov 6, 2008.

1. pushten macrumors newbie

Okay so I was just playing around with Photo Booth on my new macbook 2.4. When trying to take a picture with my own added photo backdrop, the picture mostly turns out patchy if you get what I mean. Is this normal? Also, sometimes after taking a picture (again, with the 'add own backdrop' effect), my photo booth window will darken and to restore, I have to click on 'normal' again before going back to the effect. I hope there isn't anything wrong with my macbook! Anybody knows what's going on? Let me know, TIA!

2. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

The photo backdrop needs to determine the static background. Did you leave the viewing area before taking the picture so it can recognize the elements in the background to attemp to remove?

A little FYI, the photo backdrops/custom/animated backdrops attempt to use the a green screen method to erase everything but you. If the lighting is poor so will your picture, if there's movement it'll look like crap. If the background isn't just so so (for instance an ideal background would be you in front of an uncluttered wall with resonable lighting). This isn't a limitation of Apple's design, this is how green screens are reproduced (without the green screen). The fact they included this ability is great, however, it still requires a rather resonable setting to get it to work properly.

Another thing you didn't mention, does it take pictures fine without the custom background? If so then at least you know it's working.

3. pushten thread starter macrumors newbie

^^

Yea for normal pictures they turn out fine so I guess there's no defect then! But the photo booth window darkening after re-taking pics using effects still seem a little strange to me though. Maybe it's normal, I don't know. Anyway thanks for your reply!:)