Help with my entertainment wireless set-up

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by stamatis99, Sep 15, 2011.

1. stamatis99 macrumors newbie

Hi, I have a question regarding my lounge room set-up:

I want to replace a long and ugly Ethernet cable with something wireless.
    My setup is as follows:
    In my study I have an iMac, a couple of NAS and various USB HDDs to store my movies and music. An Ethernet cable connects the study's Linksys N router to my lounge room. In the lounge room I connect the Ethernet cable to a switch and from there to the various devices such as PVR, Blu-ray, AV Receiver/Amp, Netgerar NeoTV Media Center etc.
    Instead of buying one wi-fi adapter for each and everyone of these devices I would like to stick something to the switch and make it wireless.

1) Will airport express connected to the switch do the job?
    2) Will a mac mini do the job. What I mean is the Mac mini can pick up the wi-fi signal and pass it to the switch. If so, how do I configure a Mac mini to do that? This option is more expensive, but preferable because I can use the Mac mini to do other things as well (HTPC)

Please remember I want to share not just Internet, but also LAN.

Thanks

Stamatis99

2. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

You can do it with both an Airport Express and a Mac Mini. However, I'd strongly recommend against this approach. The performance and stability of ethernet far exceeds what wifi is capable of, even in the best of circumstances. Perhaps you could reroute the cable to make it less aesthetically unattractive?