Help with my iMac HDD

Discussion in 'iMac' started by alejandro562, Jun 25, 2013.

1. alejandro562 macrumors newbie

Hi i am still getting used to an imac ... basically i have a 1tb hdd in my imac but when i download things it says its full... and its using the 8gb memory not my 1tb hard drive... is there a way i am suppose to enable it to use the hdd and not th small 8gb memory??? thanks

----------

i also called imac support and they want my visa for my simple question... ridiculous

2. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

Hello,

First off I think you're a little mixed up and confused. The hard drive and memory have two different functions:

Memory = Your computer uses memory (RAM) to store actively running programs on the computer, including the operating system.

Hard Drive = refers to disk space as to how much space you have available on your hard disk for storing files.

3. alejandro562 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks ... i know my mac has 1tb availiable and after i download 8 gigabytes worth of media it fills up... any suggestions?

4. alejandro562 thread starter macrumors newbie

5. alejandro562 thread starter macrumors newbie

i have a 1tb hdd and safari says that my imac is full when i download a file... it lets me download 4 to my imac .. if i go over that it says to remove files for space but i have 962gb availiable .. any help?

6. macthefork macrumors 6502

Do you have an external drive connected? When you download within Safari, it should default to your download folder. It could have been changed to a different location, though.

In Safari Preferences, under the General settings, see where your downloads are set to download to. Make sure it's set to Desktop, or Downloads Folder, or somewhere on your HDD where you'll know where to find it.