Help with my next purchase

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sh00t4par, Apr 15, 2010.

1. sh00t4par macrumors newbie

I am in the market for a new Mac and have been going through all the possibilities and I sort of got overwhelmed with all the options. I currently have an old 15" MacBook Pro. It is the first model that had the Intel chip in it, the Core Duo. It has served me well and is still going strong. It's just time for something new.

I was waiting for the MacBook Pro refresh before making a purchase so now the time has come. I have it narrowed down to two choices.

1. A new 15" MBP i7 with possibly a monitor to use with it.

2. A 27" iMac i7 or i5 and an iPad

I never owned a Mac Desktop before and love my laptop. However when I went to the Apple store to look around I was mesmerized by the iMac screen. I also look at the pricing and it seems that you get more bang for the buck with the iMac. Esp when u count in the cost of the 24" cinema display which isn't even as big as the iMac. The iMac has me really wanting something like the 24" cinema display to go with a laptop if I go that route.

I use my laptop at my desk while I work but I love being able to pick it up and take it to the couch or wherever. Basically what I require for mobility is just browsing the web, instant messaging and email. My thinking is that the iPad can provide that. I don't work off my laptop as my company provides me with a Windows laptop.

For some reason I keep going back and forth with this decision. I think I am just so used to a laptop and I love the look of the uni-body design. At the same time I can always keep the laptop I have now. I think at this point i couldn't get a whole lot for it. Then I can have a big 27" iMac on the desk and even an iPad to go with. Another consideration is do I really need an i7 or should I just go with the i5. I know I won't use the power but for $200 more the geek in me keeps saying why not.

Sorry for the long post but I would really appreciate any advice that you guys can give. If you have any other question let me know as I may have left out details. Thanks for taking the time to read all this and I appreciate you helping out the new guy.

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

We got an ipad for the same thing you're thinking about - couch surfing and it's served us well.

Also, the iMacs you're looking at appear in the refurb store with some frequency so you can save even more by going that way (in other words, get half way to an iPad with just the savings there). If you do swing the other way, the 24" LED is $300 off in refurb too...

3. Sirmausalot macrumors 6502a

Sirmausalot

I have a dual screen iMac setup and a 13" notebook. It's the perfect combination because I do a lot of video editing and both machines can handle it. Obviously the big set up is the main system and the other is for emergencies.

So a lot depends on the applications you need. The iPad might be enough for portability and the iMac screen is well, well worth it.

4. sh00t4par thread starter macrumors newbie

I see a 27" iMac with an i5 processor. I also see you can buy the AppleCare with it. I've never had any experience with refurbished electronics. Is the quality good direct from Apple?

5. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

The i7 shows up about once a week so keep checking back if you want that model.

Apple does the best job I've ever seen on refurbs. With a refurbished Mac you’ll get:

* A machine that performs and looks like new
    * The same one-year warranty as new
    * The same eligibility for Apple Care as new
    * A machine that is fully tested (including full burn-in testing)
    * A machine refurbished with replacement parts for any defective modules identified in testing
    * A Mac that has been thoroughly cleaned and inspected.
    * A Mac that is repackaged (including appropriate manuals, cables, new boxes, etc.) – nothing is missing
    * It includes the operating software originally shipped with the unit and the custom software offered with that system
    * A Mac that has placed into a final QA inspection prior to being added to sellable refurbished stock
    * And most importantly, a savings several times that of any coupon or promo code (not that they can be found anymore…)