Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrgreeneyes

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
Gatineau,Canada
can somebody help me with my issue?

im trying to see if my tv can have a home theater hooked up to it?
i looked and i dont see anything that would seem like it.

thanks

Robbadore64

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2008
Jacksonville, Florida
Wow, this opens up to a gazillion questions and possibilities.

Are you simply looking to make your TV audio go into some sort of stereo receiver (could be a high end surround sound device or just a plain stereo)? Most TVs these days have audio out jacks.

What types of devices do you have?

Sorry but you need to go into more details. I'd be happy to help but that's a question I'd get from my girlfriend and my response would be "Well let me take a look"

Thus far this isn't much an AppleTV thread so feel free to PM me and I'll try to help out.

Robbadore64

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2008
Jacksonville, Florida
I think I overcomplicated things. Tell me the type of TV (make and model) and I can give you an easy yes or no answer. But if it was made in the last 20 years the answer is probably yes. If you're looking to connect an AppleTV then there's a good chance but tell me the make and model and I'll tell you definitively.

kreach

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2010
I see that Apple TV has a Optical Digital Audio port on its back;

6. Optical digital audio port
Connect Apple TV to a home theater receiver that has an optical digital audio port, using an optical digital audio (also called S/PDIF or TOSLINK) cable.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1586

So i guess the answer is yes;

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
There are two components to making a 'home theatre': the thing that displays the video, and the thing that makes the audio. The TV is the thing that displays the video and for the best result, should only do video, and not the audio as well. That means that for the audio you need a speaker system with a receiver.

So: take your AppleTV (or another source), connect the video cables to the TV, and the audio cables to your speaker system.

Btw: the issue in the original post is: the lack of an issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.