help with my wife taking over my current iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mac43rn, Jun 9, 2008.

1. mac43rn macrumors newbie

I have finally convinced my wife to enter over to the apple side. She has a macbook pro, but still using a krzr phone from verizon. I have owned the current iphone for 5 months and signed a two year agreement. I am very happy with the service, and love how well it works. Since we live in an area that is not 3G she has agreed it would be pointless for me to keep the non 3G phone. My job requires me to travel into cities where 3G is up and running so that will be a nice feature.

Here is my question. I do understand I will have to extend my contract to purchase the new 3g iphone, but will my wife have to sign a 2 year agreement for a phone I already own? She will need to port her number over to AT&T but was wandering if she can just be added to my family plan without entering a long contract.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Spiffyis5150 macrumors member

Yes, she will. AT&T won't activate a new phone without a contract these days and I would be shocked if it wasn't a two year contract since it's an iPhone. One would think that since you own the phone that you wouldn't need one but the truth is that AT&T is much more interested in your monthly recurring payment and how long they can keep you paying it then they are in selling a phone for cheap. The minute they add the iPhone data plan to your account, you just signed up for two years.

3. mac43rn thread starter macrumors newbie

Well thanks for the information. Looks like I will try to sell my current version for the people that want to jailbreak the phone and pick up a couple for both her and I. I wander if trying to add it to a family plan (as an additional phone) it would work?

4. mac43rn thread starter macrumors newbie

question for you

Do they do this with other phones? Let's say I just want to be a customer and I bring in a phone I currently own. When I was with Verizon I added my wife to a family plan using a phone I purchased off the net.
    We just paid the fee for adding her line and she did not have to sign a new contract.

I was hoping this would change since Apple and At&t are breaking ties.

5. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Verizon phones don't work with the AT&T network. If you want to buy an AT&T phone off the net, you could do that. If you go that route, you just port the number and pay the $18 activation fee and expect the 2-year contract, but that's ok, you'll have your 3G iPhone and she'll probably want one as well. :cool:

6. mac43rn thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, I know verizon phones do not work on AT&T. However, when I was with verizon I added a phone to my plan and did not have to sign an additional contract for the extra phone.