Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SrgtKickAss

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2013
Hey everybody please cut me some slack, only been a mac user for about a year.
I've googled as much as I could, and only found something about an automator script, which didn't work.
So I bought a nice seagate NAS server, have it hooked up behind my router. I have it linked up on my mac as a drive, but everytime my mac restarts or goes into sleep mode, after I load it back up, I need to click on the drive, and it takes a minute to load up. There is no issue on my girlfriends windows 8 laptop. Is there anyway I can fix this to have it always stay connected?
Thanks guys!

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
Hey everybody please cut me some slack, only been a mac user for about a year.
I've googled as much as I could, and only found something about an automator script, which didn't work.
So I bought a nice seagate NAS server, have it hooked up behind my router. I have it linked up on my mac as a drive, but everytime my mac restarts or goes into sleep mode, after I load it back up, I need to click on the drive, and it takes a minute to load up. There is no issue on my girlfriends windows 8 laptop. Is there anyway I can fix this to have it always stay connected?
Thanks guys!

Do you have it loaded on startup in your user profile ? This way it should always stay connected.
Are you connecting by AFP or CIFS/SMB ?

SrgtKickAss

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2013
Do you have it loaded on startup in your user profile ? This way it should always stay connected.
Are you connecting by AFP or CIFS/SMB ?

Thanks for the reply, I do have it loaded in the user profile, and also I am using AFP.

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
Aside from having to remount the drive, there is a chance that won't help with the delay you are referring to. The NAS is probably hibernating the hard drives when they're idle, which isn't a terrible thing.

Does the same thing happen if you leave your computer awake and not access the drives for awhile? Many NAS's can't spin up all the drives at the same time; they'll do it in sequence, and that's what takes awhile.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
.... I need to click on the drive, and it takes a minute to load up. ....

If there is a drive icon on your desktop that you can click, then the drive is already mounted and usable. What is the problem? Does it really take a full minute to open the finder window?

Maybe you are clicking on something else other then the desktop icon?

If the disks in the NAS have spun down to save power then it does take a few seconds for them for spin up and be readable again. There is likely a power saving setting inside the NAS box, but it's best to let them stop spinning and save the power.

If another computer can access a non-spining disk it is caching the data.

SrgtKickAss

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2013
Sorry I was mistaken, I'm using SMB.

WHen i use my mac and don't use the drives it stays connected, I have it in my doc, when I turn off the computer or it sleeps and I come back, there is just a big grey question mark, clicking it does nothing, and eventually the blue "server" looking icon loads and I can continue to use the nas.

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
Sorry I was mistaken, I'm using SMB.

WHen i use my mac and don't use the drives it stays connected, I have it in my doc, when I turn off the computer or it sleeps and I come back, there is just a big grey question mark, clicking it does nothing, and eventually the blue "server" looking icon loads and I can continue to use the nas.

Can you connect by AFP instead ? Sounds to me like the NAS might be sleeping and this might be your problem. Are there drive spin-down settings that you have enabled ?

What does Finder show for the NAS ? Is it connected here when you have the ? in the dock ?

I have 2 NAS units that are easily available to me. Neither are on a sleep setting and only one is in my user profile for connect on boot. (Neither are Seagate BTW). Both are connected by AFP but CIFS/SMB is also available (but takes a bit longer to connect). I always connect to the units through Finder - never through the dock.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.