help with netgear wireless router!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by zipper1022, May 27, 2007.

1. zipper1022 macrumors regular

i have a wireless "g" router and it works good some of the time, but i for some reason, all the machines linked to it constantly lose internet connection

ill be online perfect fine then ill click a link and it wont load, the router and modem dont change at all, but the internet drops and the only way to get it up again is to unplug the route and restart the modem

its so damn annoying...

i tried restoring the default settings of my router.. things dont seem to have changed...

should i get in touch with netgear?

2. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

I have a netgear router and because my brother bought a cordless telephone on the same frequency as the wireless signal every time the phone rings it destroys the internet connection. Sometimes it just needs a reboot, other times like this week it completely torpedoed the connection and it wouldn't work for about eight hours. Luckily most people call our mobiles but occasionally we get a house call...

If someone in the vicinity of the router (i.e. next door neigbour or nearby apartment) has a 2.4Ghz telephone, that might be the issue.

3. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

It's probably interference, most commonly from a phone. Try going into your router settings and changing the channel.

4. MagicUK macrumors regular

MagicUK

Agree. Download Kismac (http://kismac.de/) and scan for networks that are near by taking note of what channel they are on. Then change the channel on the router to one thats not being used.

5. cube macrumors G5

What's the exact model designation of this router?

6. jng macrumors 65816

jng

Get rid of the netgear and buy an apple router.

It might be a cordless phone, it might not be.

I own 2 wireless netgear routers and seriously, never again. And don't get me started on stupid Indian tech support that just reads off teleprompts.

7. zipper1022 thread starter macrumors regular

i dotn think its the cordless phone... i was workign on the computer from 1 am to 5 am last night and the phone didnt ring once...

how do i go about changing the channel?

i dont know anyhtign about wirelss routers, my friend justr gave me this one....

alsowhat about my computers that are WIRED to the router??

why do they lose connection too!!!!

8. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

First of all you need to tell us what model router you have so we can help you. As for the wired problem it seems to me your router is slowly failing. Maybe time to buy a new one

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

What kind of service do you use? DSL or Cable internet? Does your router or modem log into the service using PPPoE?

10. zipper1022 thread starter macrumors regular

okay,
    i have a "108Mbps Wireless Firewall Router WGT624 v2" Thats rite off the front of the manual

i have optimum online, which is uses a cable modem. I had a linksys WIRED router and it worked great then my friend gave me this one... i need the wireless though to be on my laptop...

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Okay, if you have cable internet, PPPoE is probably not an issue.

Is there an option in its settings to turn off the 108mpbs feature and only permit standard 802.11b and 802.11g connections? That might help, particularly since nothing on your network that doesn't have a netgear WiFi card can connect at the proprietary 108mbps anyway.

12. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

As stated above, if it's also the wired connections that are dying, it's probably something wrong with the router. Also the fact that you got it from a friend kind of pushes this idea more.

13. josepho macrumors regular

I used to have a fair few problems with my Netgear router. Certain pages just seemed to make it freeze up, with the only solution being to unplug the power supply and put it back in, essentially rebooting the modem. It was weird because about 90% of the time I tried to access http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather the router would crash...

I have no idea why such a thing happened, but my problem was definitely internal, not due to interference. I can't remember the exact model number, but it was one I got about 3/4 years ago...

Oh, I have a different router now.

14. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Yup, I had loads more problems with mine today. Netgears are rubbish.