help with netgear wireless router

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nelsonrh, Dec 7, 2008.

1. nelsonrh macrumors newbie

i am needing help with my router. I have a netgear router that wont connect to my server, it will only connect to other peoples in my area. I am able to hook up my modem and connect to the internet that way. I also have tivo and it hasn't been able to connect either, so i know it's my router. i am needing help with my router. I have a netgear router that wont connect to my server, it will only connect to other peoples in my area. I am able to hook up my modem and connect to the internet that way. I also have tivo and it hasn't been able to connect either, so i know it's my router. I have had the router for several years, and had no problems. It just recently started acting funny.
    i have a macbook & the router is netgear wgr614. no password ora anything for the router.
    thanks for any help/suggestions
    heath

2. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

Try unplugging the modem's power or the power on the router and wait a few second and plug it back in and see what happens. Or you could update your firmware see if that fixes the problem...

3. nelsonrh thread starter macrumors newbie

i have unplugged both modem & router. i also tried hooking up router to mac but could not connect to internet..what did you mean try updating firmware?

4. Victor Star macrumors member

Well, with no password on the router one of your neighbors might have connected in and locked you out. If you know how to configure the router I would reset it and start fresh. Can you access the router?

5. nelsonrh thread starter macrumors newbie

if you mean (accessing the router) by going to the router address, i haven't been able to open that page at all today.

6. Victor Star macrumors member

Sounds like the router has lost its configuration or it's just dead.

Have you tried connecting to the router with a cable or are you trying to go wireless?

First try different cables with the router. Next I would reset it and try again to get access. Most have a small hole that you put a paperclip in for a full reset. Be sure to have a cable connection from your computer to the router if you reset it.

7. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

Try looking on here firmware > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firmware

Did you ever configure your router and set an WPA password and change the admin password to go to your router's setting? If you didn't do that reset the router and start over (b/c your neighbor might have hijacked your network) then plug the modem's ethernet cable to the router where it said "WAN or Internet" and then unplug the power of your modem from the outlet and wait a few seconds. Plug it back in and your modem should assign an IP address to your router and you should have internet. Oh yeah make sure your TCP/IP, under Configure IPv4 is under DHCP (which is located in sys. preference>network)

If that doesn't work try calling your ISP if there's something wrong with the modem. If they confirm that there's nothing wrong with the modem...then I'm guessing that there's something wrong with your router and I suggest that you return it for a new one...

8. nelsonrh thread starter macrumors newbie

THANK YOU!! oh my gosh thank you so much. you have no idea how excited i am to have my network back. i reset the router and plugged it into my internet port. then i plugged ethernet cable into my macbook and that automatically sent me to netgear page to setup router....
    anyways thanks so much...while i was on netgear page i setup a password, so hopefully that'll keep others out!! do you think thats what happened? someone got in & messed it all up? my tivo was also able to connect to my netgear server FINALLY!!! again thank you so much!! & if there's anything else you think i need to do PLEASE, PLEASE let me know!!
    thanks so much for all your help patience & support!!

heath

9. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

Your welcome. As long as you have a secure password that you will remember or have it somewhere written (so you don't forget it when you decide to do any changes on your router). Be sure to have WPA as your security instead of WEP (much more safer) and remember the password also..It'll help you a lot when you have more than one computer at home and want to shared the internet. Just know your network name and your WPA/WEP password.
    And don't worry about someone messing up your internet again..you can always reset your router and start over...Besides your the one who's the owner of the router not them..So you can always reset and start over.

The fact that you didn't configure your router is probably why your neighbor or someone else taken advantage of your internet.

:)