Help with Network hard drive (BT Smart hub)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fr3n2y, May 7, 2017.

1. fr3n2y macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have just purchase a new MacBook pro and decided to try and take advantage of the usb port on my bt smart hub and seagate 1TB hard drive I had spare.

I have connected the drive to the smart hub and can access all files on it after adding a shared network in finder.

However, if I try and add files to it a dialogue box opens prompting me to input my finder password as it wants to make changes then an error box pops up stating -

The operation can’t be completed because you don’t have the necessary permission.

The aim here is to use the drive for shared storage (photos/music etc) not time machine, I have a separate drive for this.

Does anyone currently do this or have any idea how i can make it work?

Thanks in advance

2. matram macrumors member

A lot of guessing here, but ...

Your hub is likely Linux based and the USB drive is shared using SAMBA protocol.

There is a configuration file for SAMBA called smb.conf that controls access to shared resurces. Is there some admin gui that gives you access to these settings on the hub.

Folders you try to create on the USB drive will follow Linux file access rules, ownership and access rights of the parent folder will determine if you will be allowed to create a subfolder. You need to be the owner of the parent foolder or that folder needs to have write access switched on for "world".

So, in short the problem is at the hub, Finder is just sending your user name and password to the hub and if that does not match username, password and access rights set on the hub, no access!