Help with networking printer

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by marmolade, Sep 19, 2007.

1. marmolade macrumors newbie

Hi I have a printer connected to my desktop PC running Windows XP. A week ago I bought a Macbook and I thought since I had another desktop that was wireless and able to print that it would be no problem networking my Macbook. I installed the drivers (Canon i860) to the Mac and everything seemed fine until I actually tried printing something:

The printer starts up as usual as if it is going to print something but then it just stops and nothing happens. I check the print queue and it says that the jobs are completed.:confused:

Can anyone help me out?

2. pjarvi macrumors 65816

pjarvi

Here is a link to a fairly detailed guide: http://www.ifelix.co.uk/tech/3015.html

The gist of it:
    1.) Share the printer on the XP machine
    2.) Add the printer on the Mac under "More Printers..." using Windows Networking
    3.) Select the appropriate model/driver of the printer

Voila! ;)

3. MorzillA macrumors 6502

MorzillA

I tried using a HP printer on my G4 but as I was looking for the drivers on the HP site I noticed I could not find any, then contacted HP and was told that that particular printer is not Mac compatible...
    Now, seems to me that your printer is Mac compatible, if so then you should do as pjarvi suggests.

4. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Have you looked here for a suitable driver
    http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/OpenPrinting

5. MorzillA macrumors 6502

MorzillA

.......:confused: hmmmmmm no, no I have not but even so I was told that the HPlaserjet 1020 is not Mac (panther) friendly, but I will look into it once I have some free time!

:apple:

6. jmpmntwnty3 macrumors 6502

Sounds like my EXACT problem. I was going to make a whole new thread, but I'm glad I searched. I hope the provided link works!!

My printer is a Dell printer by the way...

7. sbluetruck macrumors regular

sbluetruck

you could turn it into a postscript printer and move this thread into the peripherals section...

8. sammyman macrumors 6502a