Help with new folders

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sonnyh, Jan 17, 2010.

1. sonnyh macrumors newbie

Hi,

Newbie from windows to Mac SL.

I download two programs for my Cannon scanner and found them installed in Applications. I created a new folder called Cannon and moved both programs into it. In the folder, there is now a file called "Open in Finder" as well which I did not add.

Question.
    1. Is it ok to move files into a new folder this way?
    2. Is it normal to have "Open in Finder" also inserted in the folder?

Reason I am asking is, when I initially run the scanner program I get this multiple colour ball momentarily. It is almost as if the os is looking for the location of the scanner program - similar to an hour glass in windows. Am I correct in assuming this?

Therefore, should I delete the folder i created and reinstall the scanner programs?
    If so, should I delete the programs first, then the folder, or go ahead and delete the folder with the programs in it?

Thanks,

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

The OS puts applications in the Applications folder by default, as you've discovered. It's not a good idea to move them for at least one reason: when you go to do an update, the installer is going to look for the application in the Applications folder. Not finding it, you may end up with a new complete application, or the installer may refuse to work.

"Open in Finder" is most often seen as a selection in a contextual menu from a Dock icon. I'm not sure why there would be an icon with that name. Do Get Info on it and see what you can find out about it. You could empty your Trash, then delete the "OiF" icon and let it sit there for a few days to see if anything bad happens.

The "multi-color ball" is commonly called the "spinning beachball". It signifies that the computer is busily processing your last instruction. It could mean that you need more RAM if it becomes more frequent and lasts longer. You be the judge.

Finally, you can just move those applications back to the Applications folder. The Mac OS isn't so fussy. It won't bite you.