Help with new iMac 27"

Discussion in 'iMac' started by scrob, Jul 20, 2011.

1. scrob macrumors member

Hi guys, just about to pull the pin on a new 27" iMac and have some questions for you all :)

Should I go for the trackpad or mouse? I personally prefer a mouse but I am unsure whether the new features of Lion will be lost on a mouse. I also plan to use a little Photoshop - can anyone tell me how they find it with a trackpad or would the mouse be a little easier to use?

When it comes to RAM, is it easy enough to upgrade this myself? I don't fancy paying Apple £160 for the 8Gb upgrade.

Finally, can I use the OSX disk that comes with the iMac to reformat my old MacBook for sale? The MacBook is running Snow Leopard but I have lost the disk and only have the original Tiger boot disk.. Annoying!!

Rob

2. Elven macrumors 6502a

Elven

3. zarf2007 macrumors regular

upgrading the memory is designed to be easy for the layman and does not invalidate warranty, just remove the 'flap' at the bottom of the iMAC and slot it in. I ordered with the standard 4GB memory and bought 2 x 4GB from crucial to make it 12GB (there are 4 slots in total)

Get the trackpad and magic mouse (just make sure you enable the right click for the mouse under preferences).

The install should work but not 100% sure.

4. scrob thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. Perhaps a Magic Trackpad and a cheap USB mouse to keep in my drawer for Photoshop would be the best option, as I see the Lion Gestures are limited for the Magic Mouse (and I don't want to pay an extra 60 quid for both Magic Mouse/Trackpad).

5. The Mad Kiwi macrumors 6502

+1

6. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Any disk that comes with the computer will probably be tied to that hardware and will not work on the other computer. At least that is how it has worked in the past.

7. OW22 macrumors 6502

OW22

I picked up a 27in iMac yesterday. Quite a leap from my first gen Intel 20in iMac from 2006!

I bought it in a store and got them to throw in the trackpad as well. If I had to choose, I'd definitely take the trackpad. It's superb to use. I love it and have just been using it with Snow Leopard so far. Will upgrade to Lion tonight.

I have a brilliant Logitech MX Mouse. Can't recommend it enough, wireless and rechargeable. Beats the hell out of the Magic Mourse.

8. sth macrumors 6502a

+1

Doesn't have to be a Logitech, though.

9. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

Get the trackpad and a cheap USB or bluetooth mouse.
    RAM is easily upgradable just open the door on the bottom of the case and you're set. Just make sure the RAM you buy is compatible.
    OSX install disks are proprietary try formatting it.

10. scrob thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the advice lads, def changed my mind and ordering the trackpad. Thinking 4Gb will also suffice and I can increase later if I feel the need.

Also just ordered an 8Gb USB stick which I will use to make a Lion boot disk so I can format my MacBook for sale and also have a backup for the iMac in case I ever need to format that too.

11. bushman4 macrumors 68000

Most logical solution. Mouse doesn't have to be Logitech albeit Logitech has gaming mouse etc.

12. OW22 macrumors 6502

OW22

Logitech are making some great products. Anyone see the new Solar powered wireless keyboard? Superb.