Help with New Leopard Finder!!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by GotPro, Oct 27, 2007.

1. GotPro macrumors 6502

Hey, guys...

Loving Leopard so far... MOSTLY... still some issues I'm not 100% happy with... but I'm sooo used to Tiger that I'm giving it time and the benefit of the doubt.

Ok...

Now... here is my issue.

When I click on the Finder icon in the lower left of the dock, I have it set up to display my main computer level, with "Applications, Users, System, etc.".

This view I have is the default Folder view we have come to know and love in all versions of the Mac OS from Day 1.

Now... here is my issue.

I have a folder that I keep in the lower RIGHT HAND of the dock, which is my User's Home Folder.

I want to be able to click on the "Documents" folder (once it is fanned out), and have that open the finder window in Cover-flow style. But it won't.

It defaults to the standard view. If I CHANGE it... to cover flow... then when I open a standard Finder window... THAT window is still set to cover flow.

Why? How can I change this behavior? Shouldn't the view of each window remember a preference for that specific window?

I don't want to see Coverflow in my main file, say system library... but I DO want to see it when I'm in my Documents folder.

I know I can just click the button... but it's an extra step.

Any ideas guys? THANKS!

2. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Yep. Good question. I am having the same issue.

My application folder I prefer icon view. Whereas my external drives I prefer a 3-pane view.

However, Leopard won't remember my preferences, and just goes back to the last used. Tiger was smarter with this.

3. GotPro thread starter macrumors 6502

I Fixed It!!!!!

Hey, Powerbook! I FIXED IT! I FIGURED IT OUT!

Here's the way Apple does it this time around.

You have to go into View Options, in the Finder Window that you want to set, already in the view you want, and select the checkbox that says "Always open as X"

So... if you open, for instance, the folder in Home called Documents... hit Apple-J to show view options... and there will be a check box there you can check to force it to always open in whatever view it is in when you hit Apple-J.

Kinda backwards... but hey.... at least it's there!

Now my Hard Drive opens up in Icon view, and my Documents folder opens up in Coverflow!

Woot! :)

4. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

5. kyc macrumors newbie

It works if you are going into a folder. However, if you entered a subfolder then use the back button to go out to the main folder, the view turns to whatever view the subfolder is using.