Help with new Mac purchase!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zeecue, Nov 30, 2012.

1. zeecue macrumors newbie

hello all!

i am looking at getting my very first MAC -- i have narrowed my choices b/t a 15" MBP or a 15" MBPr (didn't really want a 15" but i do like the designated graphics card that only the 15" carries) -- my main question is this:

is it worth the $ to splurge on the retina display or should i just get the regular 15" MBP maxed out, which pretty much is equivalent to the to the starter MBPr.

thanks for the help and information! :apple:

2. TC400 macrumors 6502a

TC400

Do you really think the Retina is worth it?

Are you the type of person who may need a high res display? Maybe for editing pictures and movies? Think of some of the other things too maybe you want to upgrade down the road? Can't really do that with the Retina!! With the regular MBP you can. If your a gamer or heavy heavy video editor you may want to consider that better graphics card.

3. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Since I don't see technical requirements about the workload (apps that will be used), and you seem to have the budget, then I would advise going for rMBP. Likely the basic config will work for you.

4. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

5. lightz39 macrumors regular

I had the same question and choose to drop the money on fully upgrading the retina. Its A LOT more but I won't have to upgrade as soon either. Spend more money now and upgrade later or less and upgrade sooner. IMO.

6. msh441 macrumors newbie

But you can't upgrade the rMBP AT ALL from what you initially spec out! So it's more like Max it out now for big bucks, and replace it later.

At least with the non-retina you can eek a little more life out of it down the road with fast SSD or more RAM, etc. plus you don't loose the optical drive (still important to some).

7. tastytraci macrumors newbie

Re Help with New Macbook purchase

Hi if your not going to be doing anything but photographing, surfing the net, and perhaps playing a game like MIne craft I would stick with the basic 15 inch macbook, because you can upgrade that, if your going to be doing much more then that like intense gaming I would go with the the upgrade. Good luck.:)

8. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

If you decide to go the cMBP-15 route, DO NOT get it maxed out from Apple. That would be like throwing your money away. Buy the base model with whatever processor speed you need, and then upgrade it yourself. You can do better upgrades for MUCH LESS if you go aftermarket and its really easy to upgrade the RAM and the HDD. The physical part will take about 15-20 minutes, then its just a matter of testing the RAM and installing the OS on the new new drive.