Help with new mac :(

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Daniel97, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Daniel97 macrumors 6502a

I have a CCC & a TM of my 2011 MBP running Lion but I'm still having problems transferring to my new 2011 MBA!

Ive now resorted to copy and paste between the drives of my media.

The only thing i would like are my

Address Book
    Calendar

But cannot find them anywhere!!! :( Can anyone help? There both running lion.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

On the source machine in both apps go to the menu and select File/Export/ then the archive choice for both. Save to the desktop.

Move the two files to the destination machine then in both apps go to the menubar and select File/Import and point to your file you moved from the source machine.

Done.

3. Daniel97 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry the old machine is gone .. all i have is the new machine and the CCC or TM backup of the old one.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Ah.... here is what you want then.

For address book look in ~/Library/Application Support/Addressbook
    For ical look in ~/Library/Calendars

~/ = Your user home folder.

5. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Ouch!

The data for iCal is stored at:
    USERS / username / LIBRARY / APPLICATION SUPPORT / SOURCE

"SOURCE" is a folder. In it, there is one data file for each calendar.

Address book data is stored at:

User > Library > Application Support > AddressBook

However, I don't suggest you try working with the low level files. Why not boot from the CCC backup you made? You could then open iCal and export to a file on a usb drive. You could do the same with address. Then you could import them on the MBA after you reboot to your normal drive.

Another option is to run migration assistant and pick the old time machine backup to restore. You can later delete "extra" stuff brought over by migration assistant above and beyond calendar and address book stuff.

If the problem is disk space, I suggest you resort to an external USB drive. This would give you room to do a lot of things like restore the CCC backup to a bootable partition, boot from it and do the export OR do the migration from the TM backup to a bootable partition on the external drive, boot from it and do the export.

If you do decide to attempt a "shortcut" and simply replace the files in the folders I mentioned above, please make sure you back up the stuff you replace so you don't wind up without the ability to use address book or calendar at all. I had a TM restore with a minor glitch and mail.app failed to open after the restore. The quickest way to recover was for me to delete 15 gig of files in my library/application support/mail folder and start over setting up my email accounts from scratch. This was no big deal for me because my only copy of my email was never sitting in mail.app. After a rather long IMAP sync, everything was as it was before the Time Machine restore.

Hope you get everything back!

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I don't know what is different about your configuration, but I have a default config and my iCal data is at ~/Library/Calendars.

I don't even have the "source" folder you mentioned. I am using Lion as is the OP. I think the location you posted is for an older version of OS X?

7. Daniel97 thread starter macrumors 6502a

New problem :(

Re ran migration assistant and selected every option so all my stuff is back

BUT my F4 key no longer works with launchpad .. it just does nothing!

Tried restoring key to default but doesn't work? :(

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

[​IMG]

Go here and check the box then hit F4 key.

9. Daniel97 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Did that mate and did not work .. had to ring applecare in the end.

It took a senior advisor over an hour to fix - Ended up deleting 4 preference files and playing in terminal to get it working.

All fixed :)