Help With new Macbook Pro Decision

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 1move, Jul 26, 2011.

1. 1move macrumors newbie

Hey everyone I am noob at this whole mac thing but have been looking to purchase one for a really long time. Over the past two years to be exact, have always been scared to switch form PC to mac but I think it’s about that time.

I decided to take the plunge this weekend and went to the apple store and purchased a Macbook Pro 15" with 2.3Ghz i7 750Gb HDD and 4GB of ram. They included the new OS for free from the app store. I went and installed it right away when I got home figuring I might as well get used to the new OS.

...Well this thing locked me out spent about 7 hours on the phone with these guys trying to figure out how to access the computer and nobody really knew, as it prompted for an old and new password and I never had a password on it. So all said and done I google it and find the solution myself.

The next day being the noob that I am, I call them back to make sure that I did it correctly, and out of nowhere they transfer me over to a nice lady named Sarah, she takes me through the exact steps and in 5 minutes I am up and runing and at the same point where I was when I did it myself.

Being a little annoyed with Apple at this point, I install the Incase shell case that the apple store sold me, well it makes a snapping sound every time I open it. So go to another local non apple store and buy a Speck case and it works fine.

Starting to get annoyed again, and then last night found a program that tells you when your macbook was built, in the info section in "About this apple" or something along these lines stated that the mac was built in "Early 2011" SO I check out this program and this mac was built in January of 2011. WTF?

My question to you is what would you do? Take it back and order online? I live in Canada but am going to California in a few days, should I buy it down there?

Or should I wait till the new one gets released? How long would that wait time be do you think?

Thanks for your time and sorry about the rant, I am very disappointed and frustrated

2. head honcho 123 macrumors 6502

if ur not satisfied with ur mbp and ur within the 14 day return policy, i would go back and return the item.

3. davmcn macrumors regular

Just going to let you know right now that those programs are really inaccurate with their readings.

I had a somewhat interesting purchase experience with my Macbook Pro also, but eventually they figured it out. Overall though, if your not happy with your Macbook Pro, I would suggest that you return it, as they are a hefty price to pay.

Good luck :D

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

What are you complaining about, exactly? I'm probably going to sound like a prick but:

Before installing the new OS X Lion, you could've done some reasearch as to what was needed. It is always a good idea to set a password on the administrator account on any Unix based(Linux or OS X) system as such a password is useful for a lot more things than just logging in or out. Not setting one is your own fault, and you don't have anyone else but yourself to blame for this.

If your incase shell doesn't fit properly, return it for a new one, maybe the one you got had a manufacturing defect, that happens when stuff gets made overseas. That too isn't Apple's problem.

That the mac has been built in january 2011 could be true, does it affect it's longevity or performance? Not at all. They had to make a bunch before the release so they could fill up their warehouses for immediate sale. I don't get why you're even bothered by this as this has no bearing whatsoever on the computer nor on your warranty.

As far as returning the thing, well if you're this dissatisfied about it that much, you can do so, nobody's preventing you from doing that. It would seem silly to me to do so, but that's just my opinion.

I wouldn't buy it in California as bringing back to Canada would make you have to pay Import duties and you'd probably end up spending as much if not more for the computer. Don't bother.

If you wait for the next one to be released, you'll have to wait at the very least another 6 months, Intel isn't releasing the next generation of processors until early 2012.

With that said, hope you get around to learning OS X and enjoy your machine.

5. windowstomac macrumors regular

I think "early 11" just means it is the (latest) MBP model, released in "early 2011." I purchased mine about 3 weeks ago and it says "early 11."

That's where the similarities end though, because I love mine!