Help with new MacBook Pro purchase

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by i_never_existed, Feb 3, 2009.

1. i_never_existed macrumors newbie

i_never_existed

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Ok, so I need help.

My black MacBook died on me and now the time has come to buy a new one.

I am looking at moving up a notch and getting these new unibodied Pro.

Now, the cheap, basic one comes with two 256mb graphics cards? Why?

Money IS an issue for me, so going for the more expensive MacBook Pro (with a 512mb card I believe) would see me eating nothing for a month... I basically need to know if it's worth forking out the difference.

And why DID they put two very similar cards into the new machine?

I'll be using CS4 photoshop daily, a long with flash. Also I'm starting to get a taste for final cut express. I'll be playing a few games I guess, so something that won't be outdated by the end of the year.

Is there a HUGE speed difference between the two 15" models?

Oh, and I'll be upgrading the basic 2.4 model to 4gig RAM (which is standard in the 2.5ghz model)

Hit me back soon, I go shopping on Saturday, and I'm buying this online, there are NO apple stores in Chile!

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I'd get the base model and not worry about it. The card is the same, so the underlying technology required to play most games is the same. The card won't make much of a difference in Photoshop anyway, unless perhaps you're opening really really high pixel images, perhaps TIFF, in CS4.

3. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

The two graphics cards are no way similar. One of the 256MB ones is about twice more powerful than the other one (one is integrated, one is dedicated). If you don't do any heavy photoshop and are on a budget, the new MacBooks are pretty damn good.

4. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

What are you talking about?!?

He is talking about the 9600 gt.

Heat is the issue so apple couldn't put in say a faster 9800 gt. They are way to thin to handle the heat. Also the new uni mbp has a spare 9400 which isn't as powerful as the 9600 gt but it will save you an hour of battery.

And to answer your question no it won't matter between the 9600 gt 256 and 9600gt 512. #1 the buffer is only 128 bit which needs to be bigger to take advantage of the extra 256 mb(total of 512). #2 video memory really only kicks in when playing games or anything else at high res. Ex 1920x1200 or 2560x1600.

Do us a favor and buy the base model so you can eat lol

5. i_never_existed thread starter macrumors newbie

i_never_existed

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

You rock!!

Ok, I bit the bullet and just paid for the cheaper 2.4 model.

I thought maybe the 2.53 model would be much better... But if CS4 and final cut are going to work almost the same, then I am going to play safe. Thanks again everyone for the help.

(Oh, and I also just ordered a pizza, so relaxed about the starvation thing jajajaja!!)

6. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Huzah! :D

7. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Did you even read his post?

"Now, the cheap, basic one comes with two 256mb graphics cards? Why?"

So i explained to him that they are not similar even though they have the same RAM.

8. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

9. alexlovesmacs macrumors 6502a

I hope you ration your pizza :p enjoy your MBP!.