Help with New MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hollywood334, May 12, 2012.

1. hollywood334 macrumors newbie

I just purchased my first ever brand new Mac. I bought an older model iMac off eBay last year and fell in love with Mac. Here is my question, I know it can be done but I only want to do this to a certain extent. My iPhone 4 and iPad 2 is synced to my iMac. How do I only transfer the data in iTunes to my new MacBook Pro? I used migration assistant last night to move all my applications but I couldn't figure out how to do iTunes. And also will they merge with my new account I created? I know when I merged my applications last night it created a new user but the apps are on both.

2. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

You need to start home sharing (not that syncing items with your macbook pro will probably erase them, but you will have the data on the macbook pro)

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4620

3. hollywood334 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wont this only share the music and stuff thats in the iTunes library? I'm wanting to transfer the back up data for my iPhone and iPad so I won't lose any text messages and items like that

4. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

To migrate iTunes in Migration Assistant you simply select the users whose iTunes accounts you want to transfer for migration.