Help with new macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by comptr, Mar 4, 2008.

1. comptr macrumors 65816

I have a 2.33 macbook pro and it uses the 85 watt power supply and apple is replacing my macbook pro with a penryn macbook pro but the penryn macbook pro uses a less watt power supply. Can I use the older 85 watt on the penryn macbbok pro?? :confused: Thanks in advance

2. jshbckr macrumors 6502

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I'm pretty certain my Apple Store friend told me that a computer that standard MacBooks (which require a lower-watt charger) can be powered from MacBook Pro chargers (higher-watt). Apparently, the computer will only take the power than it needs from the higher watt charger.

However, it doesn't work the other way around. A higher-watt MacBook Pro can't safely charge from a lower-watt charger because it can't get the amount of power that the computer wants.

Can anyone back this up?

3. Shannighan macrumors 6502a

Shannighan

i dont see why you couldnt charge the laptop, if you look at accessories like the plane adaptor, it hasnt changed in years and there arent different models for different laptops.

but i would ask first.

4. MagnumJoe macrumors regular

Are you saying, that a power adapter for a MacBook, won't power (charge) my new MacBook Pro? I have and extra MB power adapter and was hoping I could leave it at work and use my power adapter for my MBP at home. If this isn't possible, guess need to place an order.

5. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Penryn MBP's use a 85W charger. They changed the physical size of the adapter (it'll be smaller than the one that came with your 2.33 Ghz MBP), but the wattage is the same.

Also, if Apple is replacing your MBP, they should give you a new one. In the box, with all the pieces. Right?

6. comptr thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes they are but when I bought the 2.33 macbook pro I had bought a extra charger so that I can have one behind the desk and one in the laptop bag so thats why I have a extra one after giving back one with the computer and yes they are giving me a new computer in the box since they took the charger and the software and the box.

7. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Ok, gotcha. Still, since both models you mentioned use 85W chargers it shouldn't matter at all.

8. comptr thread starter macrumors 65816

Ok Thank you for the help :);)