Help with new OS on Powerbook G4

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Razeth, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Razeth, Oct 1, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2011

Razeth macrumors newbie

I just got a Powerbook G4 (Model #A1001) and it's the first Apple computer I've ever owned, so I'm a little noobish here, being used to Windows and all. I'm trying to put a new OS on it, but when I insert the disc containing the .iso of the OS (OS X Leopard 10.5.8 was what I've read is best for my system), it does not recognize it as bootable (I've tried holding down both the C and Option key; the only bootable device I see is the HDD). I've read that I need to convert it into DVD format, whatever that means?

Anyways, book specs:
    Current OS 10.3.9
    Processor 800 MHz PowerPC G4 (1MB L3 Cache)
    Memory 1 GB SDRAM

I cannot get on the internet with this OS for whatever reason. When I try to, I get an error dialog that says "The attempt to load 'Accessing URL: <url here>' failed." Also, for some reason, when I try to access Utilities, nothing happens. The "More info..." button on the 'About This Mac' dialog is also greyed out. :confused:

I basically just want to upgrade this OS without wasting my last DVD that's large enough to hold the OS. It's a DVD+RDL (double layered). Can I use it to install the OS?

Thanks in advance guys! :)

2. simsaladimbamba

Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) is not officially supported on that PowerBook, as it at least needs a G4 with 867MHz, but that PB support Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger. I had an iBook with 10.3 Panther and I was able to access the internet via Ethernet or AirPort (W-LAN), but it seems, your PB is kaputt. Did you get the grey Restore CDs with the PB?
    If not, you could contact Apple or an Apple Authorized Reseller for replacement disks.

Btw, an .iso file is just an image of an entire CD or DVD, thus the file itself is not bootable, only when burned to a CD or DVD, but not as file, but as the image.
    I don't know, where your DVD burner is in, but if you need further help burning an .iso file to a DVD, you can ask or use one of the many guides available via search.

3. Razeth thread starter macrumors newbie

hm, I guess my neighbor's WiFi was just acting up... I rebooted the computer and it connected to my WiFi and let me browse the web (but man is the default browser on this thing ancient). The only problem I have right now is installing the OS. I did burn the .iso file to a disk using ImgBurn, so it should boot from BIOS. However, I was reading another inquiry here and according to these guys, I can't use .isos to boot from my notebook. They claim I need to convert it into a standard DVD? Not really sure what that is, how to go about doing it, or if it's even possible on my double-layer 8.5GB DVD+R... :confused: :(

Most of the stuff on this Mac doesn't like to work, so I'm working from an XP machine. I've heard you can use Nero to convert an iso, but my concern is that I'm going to burn something I converted and it still not boot, then I'm out of a CD. :eek: