Help with new purchase

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Foozle, May 8, 2008.

1. Foozle macrumors newbie

Hi,

My first post to this forum and have not owned a mac before, although my first computer back in the day was an Apple 2. I've been dos/windows since then but am now interested in trying the Mac.

I'm interested in converting a bunch of old videos into DVDs and am pretty heavy into gaming. Cost isn't a big concern, but don't want to spend more than $3000. I'm planning on the following and would like any suggetions/comments:

IMac 24 inch, 3.06 ghz intel duo core
    wired keyboard/wireless mouse
    4gb memory
    1 terabyte hard drive
    Nvidia GEforce 8800
    Applecare protection plan
    free printer (after rebate)

Total is right at $3,000. Anything I should consider before pulling the trigger?

Thanks in advance,

Foozle

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Welcome to MacRumors. Don't buy the RAM from Apple.

3. Foozle thread starter macrumors newbie

Is this because of cost or quality?

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Cost, of course, the quality's as good as gold. Buy from OWC.

5. Foozle thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the input. How about the hard drive upgrade? When I spoke with the tech person at apple they said the hard drive in the Imac isn't really user swappable, so I'd void the warranty if I tried that.

The memory is user swappable, and the cost difference is around $130, so worth considering I suppose.

6. DaveF macrumors 6502a

I suggest budgeting for an external hard drive for Time Machine (or other backup system).

You'll also need a copy of Windows XP to install into BootCamp for your games.

How heavy into gaming are you? In you're "hard core", you play daily, etc., you should rethink getting a Mac. For gaming specifically, I think your $3000 would buy a much faster PC. And you'll have to reboot into and out of Windows when you play games. I do this; it's not a huge thing. But if I was a chronic gamer, it might be overly annoying in the long run.

7. Foozle thread starter macrumors newbie

Most of my gaming is on mainstream games that have Mac versions (world of warcraft, etc.), so the rebooting shouldn't be an issue. I looked at similarly specced Dells and they are pretty equivalent in price. Also, I'm pretty set on trying out a Mac since I've used PCs so long I want to see what the other side has to offer. Also, XP crashes a lot and Vista scares me.

Thanks!

8. DaveF macrumors 6502a

I thought you might play games like Bioshock, for which there is no Mac version. I just played through the Half Life 2 Orange Box via BootCamp (again, no Mac version) -- it works fine, but it's a bother.

As for PC specs -- for $3000, you can definitely buy a better gaming PC than the equivalent iMac. In particular you can get a much better video card. I'm a modest gamer (I'm replaying Diablo II, I'm so out of date :)) and my MacBook Pro runs Half Life 2 perfectly. For a "hardcore" gamer, I'm convinced a PC is better solution. But if your games have Mac version, all the better.

As for Windows XP crashing -- there's something off with your system. Simply put, XP is as stable as OS X. I use it daily at work, running 10+ applications and it never crashes (and my coworkers would tell the same tale). I use it via Parallels and BootCamp on my Mac and it never crashes.

I don't want to dissuade you. I "switched" last summer for home use, and it's great. No regrets. I play my games. I do my finances, email, etc. If you want a Mac, go for it! :)