Help with new (used) iMac. Do I need to update from 10.5.1

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Mcfire12, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Mcfire12 macrumors member

Model Name: iMac
    Model Identifier: iMac9,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 3.06 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 6 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
    Boot ROM Version: IM91.008D.B08
    SMC Version (system): 1.45f0
    Serial Number (system): W890543L250
    Hardware UUID: BB8244C3-279D-5148-B797-EA875CCA5014

Hi guys, I just purchased a new to me iMac. Can't do junk windows pc anymore...

I'm having some issues here. The command- copy and paste won't work. I need to click edit and copy if I want to use that... what gives??

The system is running 10.5.1 and i'm having a problem trying to download adobe flash player. I can't watch any youtube videos... help?
    Do I need to purchase new osx? I'm so lost!!

This is going to take some getting used to coming from a windows pc! I need to get the copy paste and flash player issue fixed, please let me know what I can do!

2. CrickettGrrrl macrumors 6502a

CrickettGrrrl

Plugging your serial number into Everymac.com's identifier brings up this information about your iMac.

According to EveryMac, it shipped with OS X 10.5.6 Leopard, not 10.5.1. However, you can double your RAM to a max of 8GB and also update the OS to current, which is Mavericks OS X 10.9.4.

You need to purchase Snow Leopard OS X 10.6.8 from the online Apple Store first in order to update your operating system further. The more recent Mac operating systems are free downloads from the Mac App Store ---which is an app on your iMac which you can't get until updated to Snow Leopard.

3. yjchua95 macrumors 604

If it came without a fresh install, most likely the previous user remapped the keys to the point that some shortcuts don't work as intended.

I suggest you purchase a Snow Leopard disk, reformat it, update it to 10.6.8, then download Mavericks for free via the Mac App Store.

To install apps in OS X, you first download the DMG (disk image) file. When it's downloaded, open the DMG and most of the time, just copy the app in the DMG to the Applications folder. In some cases, you may have to run an installer within the DMG (like the iTunes DMG for instance).

Remember to eject disk images after installing.

And also, to quit an app, don't just press the red button in the top left of the window. Always use Cmd+Q instead.

4. Mcfire12 thread starter macrumors member

Sorry, it's running 10.5.8. I ordered the dvd from apple for $20. I'll install that when it gets here and see what happens.

5. GWIM2 macrumors member

I have similar problems

I don't have the numbers here - just posting this so I can find this thread again.

I may not be able to update it but will find out - it's a G4 which looks great but feels really clunky compared with my 2014 iMac

6. yjchua95 macrumors 604

A G4 iMac will only run 10.5.8 at most, because 10.6 onwards no longer support PowerPC architectures.

7. GWIM2 macrumors member

OK, thanks. I've done a cut & paste from ABOUT on the G4 here;

Machine Name: iMac
    Machine Model: PowerMac6,1
    CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (3.3)
    Number Of CPUs: 1
    CPU Speed: 1 GHz
    L2 Cache (per CPU): 256 KB
    Memory: 512 MB
    Bus Speed: 133 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: 4.5.9f1
    Serial Number: W83190DNSD3

So who can tell me anything about it please? It'll go online fine, but YouTube videos are really slow and clunky ( antique PC next to it runs them seamlessly )

I can see it is a PowerPC and does not have a lot of memory. Should I just leave it as a glorified digital photo frame, or is there anything I could do with it - if so, what ?

All (serious ) advice welcome.

Gordon