Help with Newton eMate

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by pyros, Nov 24, 2008.

1. pyros macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I've had a Newton eMate for about a year. I had some interest in getting Open Einstein to work. Particularly, I wanted to demonstrate Newton OS to people a little more easily (particularly if I got a tablet or something) when I can't carry the eMate everywhere, and perhaps make it easier to access the endless piles of notes and diagrams that I made on my eMate (I guess I write a lot when I've done the battery pack mod and can easily get 15-20 hours of battery life out of it). Despite having hands-down the best interface and handwriting recognition ever, I just wasn't able to make it interoperate well with any other system :(.
    Anyway, I have tried to transfer the ROMs from the eMate so that Einstein can use them, but I never have been successful. I realize this is possibly against the rules... but, would someone be willing to send me ROMs from a Newton? I will gladly post pictures of my eMate that show I indeed have one and it functions and I'm not just a freeloader who wants to steal ROMs.

2. pyros thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, here's some photos, just in case people read it and doubted that I actually had an eMate...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

I'll see what I can do for ya. I've got an MP100, MP2000, and MP2100 so I'm sure I can get something to work. I take it you'd prefer the OS 2.0 stuff right?

4. pyros thread starter macrumors newbie

That would be awesome! And it's OS 2.0 as far as I know. I don't think 1.1 ran on the eMates.
    Haha, I knew the eMate-pleading-for-help pictures would do it...

That's a nice collection of Newtons. Do you still use them much? What kind of system do you sync them with?

5. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

I still use the 2000 all the time. Its a great little machine. Usually I sync it with my Powerbook G3 running OS 9, but I'll also sync it wirelessly with my MacBook Pro and G4 with iCal and Address Book. The wireless connectivity is a little flaky sometimes, so I still use OS 9 a lot with the serial port and infrared.

6. pyros thread starter macrumors newbie

They are indeed great little machines.
    I use mine for notes of all sorts. Being able to mix hand-drawn/handwritten stuff with typed text is very useful (although the only notes I've been able to reliably sync are text). I also have it near my bed for when I feel the need to write something at 3 AM but don't want to turn the lights on and blind myself for 5 minutes :eek: by which time I've forgotten what I wanted to write down. And the AA battery pack mod lets it go for ridiculously long between charges :D.

Wireless connectivity is something I never attempted. I tried to use my Ethernet card that should have been supported, but never had any luck (never could isolate if this was due to router silliness or something else). But the eMate has pretty low memory anyway and the necessary drivers for this take up more than I'd like. So I stick with my ghetto-rigged serial cable.

7. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Okay, I've got a ROM from my 2000. Works great on my MacBook. How do you want me to send it to you?

8. pyros thread starter macrumors newbie

Could you please email it to hodapp87 (at) gmail dot com?
    If you can help me make this ROM work in OpenEinstein, I'll totally PayPal you some cash :)

9. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

You've got mail. :)