help with next purchase

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by blueicedj, Aug 9, 2007.

1. blueicedj macrumors 6502

so I'm almost certain now that the new iMac has been released that I'm gonna make the switch to mac and buy it. I have a few questions though...if I go to the apple store, can I switch the regular mouse included with the imac for the bluetooth one, or would I have to buy it separately? Also I was wondering if maybe we are going to see a mouse update soon so I can decide if I should just wait until they do that?
    My last question is, is it worth the $120 to get applecare?

2. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

I doubt they're going to give away a BT mouse. You'll have to purchase it separately. If you don't want to drop the money on a new one, try finding one used on Ebay or similar. You could hold out for a potential mouse update and just use the mouse that comes with it for the time being.

As for Applecare, it's good for piece of mind. If you were buying a portable, I'd say it's a must. For an iMac, it's a toss up. Personally, the built-in screen makes me think that Applecare is important for that system. Just so you know, you can buy Applecare up to one year after your original purchase, so you don't have to decide right away.

3. blueicedj thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for the advice, with the mouse I was wondering if you can upgrade it like on the online store...like pay a little extra money to get the bluetooth one rather than the corded one.

4. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

My guess is that if you spend enough time talking to your salesman, they will do it for you. Sometimes, they might even suggest it to you;) This is one of those things where the kind of shopper you are determines more than Apple's policies (because let's face it, it would be better for them if you bought a more expensive product).