Help with non-Macs (PC Hardware advice)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by GorillaPaws, Sep 26, 2007.

1. GorillaPaws macrumors 6502a

GorillaPaws

Hey guys. I've been a Mac guy my whole life and as such I've got a fairly limited knowledge of Windows (lucky me). However, the time has come for me to get my hands dirty with some windows hardware/software/networking and I was hoping you guys could steer me in the right directions, along with your offers of condolences. Ok so here's the lowdown: My father is the head surgeon in a 2-man surgical practice, and my mother is the practice manager. We're in the process of bringing in 2 new people, but the practice will remain fairly small. Anyways, we reviewed several software packages and settled upon iMedicawww.imedica.com/. We will be needing to get a bunch of new pc's running vista as well as several tablets (i.e. the ones that look like big iPhones without keyboads--those are tablets right? I get the subnotebook stuff confused) with the touch screen UI. Also we're going to need a server as well that holds all the patient data (can I use apple's server for this? would there be any significant advantages/disadvantages to doing so?).

On the software side, other than the EMR program I don't think the machines will be running many other programs. If someone could link to any articles about how best to secure those machines from malware or post some of the apps I will need to get I'd be happy to hear it. Also if anyone knows of a site/article that can help a lifelong mac user adjust to life in vista other than Dante's Inferno, I'd appreciate the reference. Thanks again for any and all help you can provide. This is going to suck...

2. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Well, while not trying to assume too much about you or your technical knowledge, this seems to be something a little above your head (no offense meant at all).

Setting up not only all of your dad's company computers, but as well as their server management, security, etc. is something that you hire the pro's for. When you're talking a medical practice, along with servers, security, and extremely sensitive data (patient information), you don't want to just wing it or try to do it yourself.

While it may be possible to set up this business network yourself, I'd HIGHLY advise against it.

3. GorillaPaws thread starter macrumors 6502a

GorillaPaws

That sounds fair enough, we're getting an IT pro to do the initial configuration etc., but I'm going to probably play a large role in upkeep, maintenance. I would mostly like some advice on PC hardware. I really don't know who makes good quality stuff these days (it all "feels" cheap to me). Particularly in the area of these tablets. Are they a mature technology yet? or are they still kind of gimmicky? If you could point me in the right direction in any of these areas I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm not expecting to do it all on my own, but I'd like to have a reasonable understanding of the various elements so I can ask intelligent questions of the IT guy and get a genuine sense of his expertise. Thanks in advance for your help.

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Have you looked at meditech software? we used it our hospital and it was top notch though I have no idea the cost.

5. GorillaPaws thread starter macrumors 6502a

GorillaPaws

There's over 200 EMR's out there, and we did look at many of them (not Meditech though). iMedica impressed us the most of the ones we saw and we committed to a contract with them. These apps run in the tens of thousands so it was not a decision we made lightly. It involves people from their team coming to our office and customizing the app to our practice's needs so it's pretty involved.

6. Xfujinon macrumors 6502

I second Meditech. Awesome stuff at the hospital I work at.

If I may add, it may be a good idea to look into a MEDICAL IT professional (they do exist), as many aspects of medical record keeping will doubtlessly change substantially over time as our nation's health care system evolves.

However, I also think it is possible that, given enough of a time investment, you could become pretty competent at maintaining/troubleshooting all of the equipment. Good luck to you!