Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mike330R

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 8, 2010
I'm having a weird issue with deleting emails. If I delete them from my iPhone 12 it does not delete them from my MBP or iPad Pro. I'm using a pop account (cox). MBP is set to pop. and iPad is set to imap.

If I delete from my iPad it deletes it from the MPB but not the iPhone.
If I delete from the MBP it does not delete from the iPad or iPhone.

On the iPad in settings - iCLoud Drive is on, iCLoud Mail is off.
Under Manage Account Storage there is no > next to mail allowing to to click into like I can with iCloud Photo's, etc etc.

I want to be able to delete from iPad but have it not delete from MBP.

What setting am I missing?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
The mix of POP and IMAP is likely causing confusion.

Your Mac is using POP. It will download the available messages and store them locally. Deleting a message will not affect the copy on the server.

Your iPad is using IMAP. This keeps the iPad in sync with the server. If you delete a message then it'll delete it from the server too. If that message has not yet been downloaded on the Mac then it won't show up on there, but if it's already been downloaded then it should remain showing.

If you don't want the iPad to "mirror" the Mac then it's probably best to change it to use POP too.

Reactions: NoBoMac

Mike330R

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 8, 2010
I can view both emails on the iPad and MBP, delete it from the iPad and watch it disappear from the MBP.

On the incoming server I tried changing imap.cox.net on the iPad to pop.cox.net (like it is on my MBP) and it gave an error: "Cannot Verify Server Identity".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.