Help with older Mac Idea.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Fearless Leader, Sep 2, 2007.

1. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

(I had no idea where to out this thread so I stuck it here)

I love the LCD iMac with the g4 chip in it, though never got to own one cause Lack of monies at first then it lacking dual G5 chips. I also like the G4 cubes, but never got it because the were discontinued before I even knew about them.

So I can pick either of these two computers up now for a low price.

So what I'm wanting to do is to rip out the guts of one of 'em and put in some newer hardware.

Has anybody seen this done/done this?
    Was it worth it?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It sounds like a fun project! The Cube is probably easier (just my guess). It seems like a really good Cube project really needs an easel-style ACD. Will adapting the ACD to work with the DVI output on the Mini (unless you score a DVI cinema display) blow your project costs out of the water?

I wonder if there's room for an additional (?) 3.5" SATA drive also inside the cube?

The iMac G4 / Flat Panel project sounds really fun also, though, to be honest.

3. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

:eek::eek:if i had monies i wuld do this project right here and now. tht is an amazing mod! i remember the days when i wanted to get a cube, but dad wouldnt let me because we had just gotten an imac g3 graphite :rolleyes: haha.

a currently use my imac now as a file server, very handy i can access everything anywhere in my house :)