help with opera

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by littlevish, Oct 18, 2007.

1. littlevish macrumors member

Opera won't run on my Macbook (10.4.9).

I used to use it, and it was a good browser. But I must have uninstalled it at some point. Now it won't run when I try to install it again. The icon just bounces in the dock, goes away, and says "Opera unexpectedly quit. Continue/Reopen" Upon reopening it does the same thing.

Any ideas? I have deleted the .plists, and tried using a different account, but nothing will make it run.

I need to be able to run it, because I am designing websites and having to use another computer to test in Opera is a pain.

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

After you try to open Opera and it dies open up Console (/Applications/Utilities/Console) and see if there's any messages related to the crash. If you can't understand the messages post them here and maybe someone can help.

3. littlevish thread starter macrumors member

Okay. I don't really know what the messages mean, but it looks like something to do with Java??

Here are the messages from when I started up Opera.

Code:
    2007-10-18 17:28:33.223 DiskImages UI Agent[694] Could not find image named 'background'.
    2007-10-18 17:28:52.617 Opera[707] CFLog (21): Cannot recognize type of executable for CFBundle 0x160d000 </Library/Internet Plug-Ins/DRM Plugin.bundle> (not loaded)
    2007-10-18 17:28:52.817 Opera[707] CFLog (21): dyld returns 2 when trying to load /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Java Applet.plugin/Contents/MacOS/Java Applet
    Oct 18 17:28:54 Jesses-Macbook crashdump[709]: Opera crashed
    Oct 18 17:28:54 Jesses-Macbook crashdump[709]: crash report written to: /Users/Jesse/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Opera.crash.log

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I think it may be plug-in related. On my machine I don't have the DRM Plug-in that it lists. From what I researched it could be just a matter of removing that plug-in if you have it. Check the folder it lists to see if it's there. Just move it to a different folder for now rather than trashing it, just in case it's important. Also check if you have the Java plug-in it mentions. You should have it.

Also, if you check the log file that it mentions on that last line it could offer more clues (if you haven't already checked it).

5. littlevish thread starter macrumors member

Hmm that didn't help either. I have no idea what that DRM plugin is from, but moving it didn't do any good...and yes I do have the Java plug in.

also, here is the Opera crash log (too big to post here):

http://www.mediafire.com/?14rptuvuwjy

Thanks for all your help so far.

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You should upgrade to MacOS X 10.4.10. I find that Reopening a crash application brings it back in an unstable state. I let it go down and then double-click anew. I further suggest that you download and install the most recent version of Opera, Opera 9.2.4. Install it by dragging the Opera icon to the Applications folder alias in the disk image window.

7. littlevish thread starter macrumors member

Oh, actually I do have 10.4.10, that was just a typo. And Opera is 9.24. It won't run from anywhere...Desktop, Applications, the disk image itself...

8. littlevish thread starter macrumors member

I have just noticed that Photoshop Elements has a copy of Opera 7 buried within it (apparently it makes the Help app run).

Could these two be conflicting? BTW, if Opera 7 is moved out of Photoshop Elements' contents, PSE refuses to run...so it's not like I can delete Opera 7..

9. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

As a general proposition, having multiple versions of MacOS X applications on the same computer don't cause adverse conflicts. I cannot imagine that having Opera 7 and Opera 9 on the same computer has anything at all to do with your problem. I have Photoshop Elements and Opera 9.24 and everything works like a charm.

10. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

This line looks moderately suspicious:
    Code:
    0x12008000 - 0x127e6fff Opera 	/Volumes/Opera/Opera.app/Contents/Frameworks/Opera.framework/Opera
    It looks like it is trying to access Opera through a mounted disk image of Opera. Double check that you don't have the Opera disk image still mounted. One web site I came across yesterday also suggested this type of issue.

The error it gives is,
    Code:
    Exception:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
    Codes:      KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS (0x0001) at 0xc0000000
    but that's a bit vague, but does seem to be looking for something that isn't where it's suppose to be. I'm still thinking it's a plug-in issue, but not sure which one is causing the problems. One web site I came across was talking about plug-ins having their own preferences file. Trashing these could be a help, though I'd try one at a time, and only move them at first instead of trashing until you know the culprit. As an example, the Quicktime plug-in preference is located at, "~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.quicktime.plugin.preferences.plist"

I also have Photoshop Elements, so it shouldn't be that old version of Opera causing issues.

11. littlevish thread starter macrumors member

Well, I finally got it to work.

It was a plugin problem after all.

Turns out the culprits were "lala Scanner.bundle" and "lala Tuner.bundle" from http://lala.com.

I guess maybe they are incompatible with Opera.

Thanks for all your help guys :)

12. littlevish thread starter macrumors member

It's a streaming music a site.