Help with OSX bootcamp VM ware windows

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by EricaV, Apr 6, 2014.

1. EricaV, Apr 6, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2014

EricaV macrumors regular

EricaV

I have a 2012 mbp running OSX, I have not thought about bootcamp since I bought this and found out I couldn't run XP in bootcamp on the newer macbook pros (I also could not get it to work as a VM versus bootcamp partition)

I have been using an old mac to run XP in bootcamp- I only need it for one windows only program and I am now considering moving back to my newer mbp..... finding a cheap version of Windows 7, upgrading my VMware Fusion (apparently my old version will not work with OSX). And seeing if I can do a small bootcamp partition on my 2012MBP OSX.

Can anyone tell me if this is all compatible on OSX- I'm sick of using my old mac, it runs XP and now that XP is caput I'm just looking for the cheapest way to get windows on my OSX macbook pro to use one Voice recording program (required by a client) that will only work on windows. I do like VMware fusion.

Any feedback appreciated !
    E

2. CarreraGuy macrumors regular

CarreraGuy

Hi, not sure about XP but I just installed Win7 via bootcamp to my Mac running Mavericks.

I posted another topic sort of unrelated but another solution is you can run VMBox and install an image of Win7, XP, etc. so that you don't have to reboot your mac to run windows. However I had problems with Direct3d and some games doing this way though, everything else works fine. If you don't need low-level native stuff VMBox (free) should work just fine though.

3. yjchua95 macrumors 604

You can run Windows XP via VMware. All you need is just create a new VM and select XP as the guest OS. I've done that on my Haswell iMac (late-2013)