Help with Outdoor speakers

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Dr Kevorkian94, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

So me and the family are finally looking to put out speakers in the yard and I've run into some problems in my searching for the right ones. First off we want to access our music library that is on my computer. My setup is pretty simple, having the AirPort Extreme as our source of Internet (the library on my Mac is wirelessly connected to it). Running wires is no problem, although if there is a wireless solution it would be great. Also my computer is in the room that has the wall where the speakers would be on the outside (mere feet from where the speakers are). Basically I would like to be able for anyone in the family to just walk outside turn their iDevice on (it would be connected to the houses wifi) and using it as a remote access the Music library having it play through the speakers. As of now we use a crappy set of speakers out the window that connect to my computer through an AUX cable and use the remote app to control the music, this is too tedious for my parents to set up when they want to listen to music so I wanted something simple like I described above.

2. takeshi74 macrumors 601

If you look for outdoor Airplay speakers you'll probably severely limit your options. If you search for outdoor speakers and get them connected to an Airport Express or ATV you'll have more options to work with.

3. Dr Kevorkian94 thread starter macrumors 68020

Ok I see. We also have an Apple TV but that is even less of an option because of where it is in the house. I can't connect it to the AirPort Extreme I have, instead of buying an airport express?

4. waw74 macrumors 68030

an appleTV would add another level of probelms, since it only has optical audio out.

airport extreme doesn't have audio out.

-----------------

there are a few options.

1. as takeshi said, airport express (old version will work, refurbed for $69 at apple)
    it has a standard 1/8" audio out (headphone plug), so you would then need speakers that will connect to that. It is line level, so you will need something with an amplifier.
    or an amplifier (this for example) and some outdoor speakers.

2. airplay speakers
    there are several models with rechargeable batteries (the iw1 from ihome is one example) you would leave it charging in the house, and take it outside when you need it.
    as a bonus, put the charging cradle somewhere like the kitchen, and you can use it there when you don't need it outside.
    there are other options that don't have batteries, they're a bit cheaper.

3. airplay enabled amplifier, with outdoor speakers.
    most of the major AV receiver manufacturers make airplay enabled models, you could get one of these, and connect outdoor speakers to it.
    this might be overkill, as most of them are full 7.1 surround home theatre systems also.
    i have the denon avr-1912, you can put it in what they call multi channel stereo mode which will put the left channel of audio out of the left front, left surround, and left rear. so basically you wind up with 3 pairs of stereo speakers.
    **small side note, most of these don't have wi-fi, you either need to run an ethernet cable or you may be able buy an optional wi-fi adapter.

----
    with any of these, you can still use the remote app.
    it will let you pick the speakers you want to send audio to.

if your yard is big enough, you can even add multiple devices, and stream to them all at once in sync with each other.

5. Dr Kevorkian94 thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks so much! I think option 1 would be best fit for me. One last question: when you say "you'll need somthing with an amplifier" does that mean the speakers will have one built in? I know you can buy them separately but is it like high end models will have them already?

6. waw74 macrumors 68030

you can find speakers with the amplifier built in. look for "powered" in the name
    you will need to run power and the signal to the speakers.

or a separate amplifier,
    will sit close to the airport, will need to be plugged into a wall outlet.
    you will run speaker wire out to each speaker.

check out monoprice.com
    they have good prices and quality on all the cables you'll need. They also have some options for speakers and amplifiers.

7. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

Yes, referring to powered speakers.

Another option, and what I use, is an Airport Express connected to an inexpensive Sony receiver that feeds in-wall speakers. Less expensive than receivers with Airplay built in.

8. Dr Kevorkian94 thread starter macrumors 68020

So what I'm getting from this and I'm sorry here bare with me, either get powered speakers and plug them into the airport, or use other options like the one you suggested. Also what receiver do you have and how would I choose the right one?

9. denm316 macrumors 6502

I went through the same problems. I decided to go with Sonos and never looked back. It is superior to Airplay in every way.

10. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

Well, those are two viable options, yes. IMO a stereo receiver with a good set of speakers provides a better experience than standalone power speakers. And more flexibility, for example, I can set the receiver to Tuner and listen to local stations. Or connect other devices, if desired. But mostly I use it for Airplay.

My receiver is an an old Sony stereo from about 12 years ago. When I upgraded my HT to an HDMI capable Yamaha receiver, I relegated the old Sony to drive my built-in speakers (replacing a very old Pioneer unit from about 1992 that had filled that role for about 7 years). But any decent analog receiver will do just fine if all you want is good stereo sound.

11. Dr Kevorkian94 thread starter macrumors 68020

Alright that's sounds good. I've done a little searching for receivers and I found a fairly inexpensive Yamaha that goes great with the speakers we purchased. I'm going to buy an airport express and connect it to the receiver (through the aux if I'm correct), that way ill not only have access to my music library but radio and any other iDevice connected to the wifi (great for guests with different tastes in music than me lmao). You all have been much help thanks very much, just have to wait to get my receiver then start running some speaker wire!

Once Again Thank You :D

12. southerndoc macrumors 65816

southerndoc

Sonos with an NAS is the way to go. You can stream Pandora, Spotify, local stations, etc; from an NAS; or from your own iPhone. So someone in the family that just downloaded a new song could stream it from their iPhone. It's similar to AirPlay, but its done within the Sonos app on your iOS device.

My wife and I love our Sonos system. We have a Play 5 in the foyer, kitchen, and master bathroom; 2 Play 3's and a sub in my office; and a Connect Amp with 2 Bose outdoor/marine speakers on our patio. We can stream to one or all at the same time, and we can have multiple streams at once to various speakers.

13. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

You can connect the express to any of the line-in analog RCA jacks using a 1/8 inch to RCA jack cable. My Express is through the CD inputs, but any available inputs will work fine. If the receiver has an optical in you can use a TOSlink cable if you desire a digital connection.

The flexibility of using a standard stereo receiver is really convenient. I also added a portable 900Mhz speaker that I tote around when working in places where there's no built in speakers like the garage, basement or sitting on the front porch.

14. Dr Kevorkian94 thread starter macrumors 68020

As of now I'm using the 1/8 input headphone jack and it works great! Can't thank you guys enough for the help

15. Monster Sana macrumors newbie

Highly recommend you the Indierocker and Sounddew bluetooth speaker

Hi,
    I'd like to recommend you the indierocker / sounddew bluetooth speaker.
    They are totally fit your requirements.
    1. Wireless
    2. High quality audio
    3. Portable with nice design
    4. Long working time
    5. Nice price, free shipping, USA stock, Amazon fulfillment