Help with packing light (Rollerbag recommendations)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by steviem, Apr 21, 2010.

1. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

I want to pack as light as possible for when I visit my fiancée in New York on May 5th. Ideally, just hand baggage.

I would like to take the following things with me:

-Netbook
    -Seagate 2.5" External Drive
    -Sony a300 with 2 lenses (could live with just one though)
    -a Suit and shoes

My idea is to not take any toiletries with me, because I can pop into Walgreens on my way to her house (and possibly do the same for some underwear).

Although I'm staying there for 17 days, I'll have access to Dawn's washer and dryer, I'm also planning on buying some new clothes out there and hopefully the all important iPad.

How should I pack this all, I have an overnight bag, but watched 'Up in the Air' a few days ago, and I'm a little sold on a rollerbag small enough to carry on.

Any suggestions? I can probably spend £50 tops on a bag.

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Might as well bring a big suitcase, because all the stuff you buy while over there has to come back.

3. steviem thread starter macrumors 68020

steviem

I'm gonna get a holdall from a sports shop for that stuff.

4. adk macrumors 68000

adk

If I were you I'd just buy a standard 22" rolling bag. That's the standard carry-on bag size and you can easily pack five days of clothing in it. A DSLR might cut you down to three days of clothing, but that sounds like it's not a big deal to you.

You also don't sound like you'll be traveling very frequently. Buy a cheap suitcase. It will last you at least 20 trips. For an infrequent traveler this means a few years for a low cost.

5. jessep28 macrumors 6502

jessep28

6. iOrlando macrumors 68000

i never check baggage for obvious reasons.

your situation is very conducive for just carry-ons. (i.e. going to walgreens to buy stuff, washer/dryer available).

the thing to remember (and I always think like this) is you get 2 carry-ons. I have not met any U.S.- based airline that limits your carry-on to one. Note: I am talking about 2 total carry-ons, not 2 carry-ons and then some other personal bag. For me I always bring a bookbag, no matter what. Its easy to put things in and carry...no hands. You can think of that as my "purse".

I then bring a duffle bag that can easily fit in the overhead. I tend not to like rollerbags because they are very hard to roll when in a rush, very hard to weave in and out of people when in a rush, hurt when you bump into it because it has hard sides and bottoms and isnt too flexible if you try to fit something a little large in it.

i pack my two bags in such a way that if i lost my carry-on duffle bag, I am ok with it... meaning I would survive. you might ask how would I lose it? well planes over-head compartments are now getting so packed because they charge for checked baggage. there always seems to be a few people that need to check their baggage because there's no room on board.

for you, since you have a suit..you can always go for a business traveler type of bag that contains a suit container.

some other random tips:

-always wear the most bulky items when traveling (i.e. dress shoes and pants) not sandels and shorts.

-if you pack shoes, use the inside of the shoes to pack stuff in.

-since you have a washer/dryer, this isnt a problem, but I try to limit my "around the hotel" attire. you dont need a pair of spare shorts for every night...you dont need 3 "extra" t-shirts. little things like that.

-i keep all electronics/things I might want to use in my book bag that way i dont need to go through my duffle bag (unless TSA needs to see it).

- if theres less than a 50% chance of using it, i dont bring it. (i.e. umbrella).

- dress in layers. you really dont need to wash your shirt every time you wear it if it is above an undershirt etc. Now you dont need a new shirt every day.

-

7. steviem thread starter macrumors 68020

steviem

Thanks for the tips!

I've just finished packing, and got in everything I was planning on and a few extra bits.

Putting my netbook and hard drive in my messenger bag because it's easier to go through and found my iPod 3G to put some music and podcasts on, can't believe it still works, and with Firewire it took no time to put 8GB onto it - damn Apple taking Firewire away from the newer ones :(

Anyway, 2 days, 1 hours and 38 minutes to go and I'm itching to leave!