Help with Pages - making graphs landscape

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by chrispholt, Feb 29, 2012.

1. chrispholt macrumors regular

Cheddar, UK. Yes where the cheese comes from..
    Hi all,

This may be a stupid question, however I have searched all over pages menus and cannot find a way to do this.

I have a pages document with loads of experimental chemistry information (for my A-level coursework) and it has go to the stage were I need to put graphs in it, probably around 40. They have to be landscape, i.e taking up a whole A4 page. But as the rest of my document is portrait I cannot find a way to either rotate the graph round on the portrait page OR make certain pages in the document landscape, not portrait like the rest.

Any ideas how I could do one of them?

Thanks.

Also, if you know of any graphing apps that would allow me to draw tangent on plotted graphs (e.g t=0) please let me know as it would be a great help.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Your mistake is that you are trying to use Pages rather than trying to write a chemistry paper. This is not a knock on Pages--far from it. The graphing tool in Pages is extremely limited. That said, I am surprised that it exists. The graphing tool in Numbers is better, but I would not bother with it for a scientific publication. You need a dedicated charting application. I prefer KaleidaGraph, but there are many others. You might find that Grapher does all that you need. Print your graphs in landscape mode to PDF files. Import your PDF files into your Pages document. Bob's your uncle.

3. chrispholt thread starter macrumors regular

Ok. I am actually using numbers to make the graphs and manage all the raw and derived data. Your solution sounds great and i think it will work perfectly. I initially tried to use Grapher but it was too simple.

Thanks

4. chrispholt thread starter macrumors regular

However that software is too exspensive and it would take too long to learn how to use it I think. :(

5. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

Actually you can rotate Numbers charts in Pages. Move the mouse to the bottom right drag handle and press the ⌘ key, the resize pointer will change to a rotate pointer, you can then rotate the chart by 90% for landscape orientation.

Rotated Chart in Pages.png