Help with Partitioning

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Patrick7121, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Patrick7121 macrumors newbie

My Bootcamp isn't working(the file cannot be moved error) so to fix it I am guessing I can reinstall my software or do what Grannyville7989 said. If I do reinstall the software do I lose my data(I'm pretty sure you do)? If I would lose my data doing this how do I backup my files(I currently have no other partitions than the one you start with(if it is called a partition:eek:))?

Grannyville7989 posted this how do I do this and do I lose my data doing this?

Thanks in advance.:D

2. simsaladimbamba

If you have less than 2GB of data you want to backup, you could use Dropbox to backup online.
    If you have more, maybe invest in an external HDD or burn your data to DVDs.

Anyway, reinstalling Mac OS X in order to allow resizing the partition will have you lose all your data, as of now, your data is spread across the entire HDD, therefore you need to erase the HDD and create a continuous space to make another partition.

If you have an external HDD, use CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to make a 1:1 copy to that external HDD, then erase the internal HDD via Disk Utility booted from the cloned copy (OPTION key during boot will let you decide from where to boot), and then create the partitions you like and then clone the external HDD back to the partition you like.

Out of curiosity, why don't you link to the post you refer to?

3. Patrick7121 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry I'm new at this and I don't know how to refer to the other post.

4. simsaladimbamba

You open the thread you have it from, click on the QUOTE button and copy the whole quote and paste it into your post.
    There is also a small number on top of every post, which you can click and then copy the link.

Anywas, do you have any external HDD or can backup to CDs or DVDs?

5. Patrick7121 thread starter macrumors newbie

No I don't I was looking in to online backup sites but I'm not which one is the best or if they will really work.

6. Patrick7121 thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't really want to have to pay though(if possible).

7. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

You pretty much will have to pay if you want to do a backup, there aren't a whole lot of free options

8. Patrick7121 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have about 50 or so GB of data I would want to back up.

Also if I try to repair the disk with my install disk will it delete my data?