Help with partitions!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by shonboy, Jun 25, 2013.

1. shonboy macrumors newbie

Hey i looked everywhere and haven't found any answers for this problem. I recently installed Mavericks dev preview on a second/bottom partition and then deleted the first/upper partition which ran Mountain Lion. The problem is that i now can't resize my main and only partition as it's in the bottom position in disk utility and resize won't work. I need to install bootcamp on that empty space but i don't know how to resize pls help :(

2. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

You could create a partition to fill the space at the beginning of the drive, then restore your current Mavericks partition to that empty one. Then just reboot and boot into the first partition. Then delete the second partition and do what you need to do.

3. Bear macrumors G3

Is the first partition large enough to hold the contents of the second partition? If so, you could:
    1. clone the second partition to the first
    2. boot off the first partition
    3. delete the second partition
    4. grow the first partition to take over the whole disk
    5. use bootcamp as normal.

4. shonboy thread starter macrumors newbie

Can you help me a bit :/

Can you please tell me in a little greater detail how to do that...What should i format the new partition to? Mac OS Extended? And is it possible to do all of that without an external hard or a disc since i don't have any...

5. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

Open Disk Utility. Click on the hard drive on the left column and then click Partitions in the center. Click the + sign to create a new partition as Mac OS Extended. Apply changes. Then go to the restore tab. Set the Mavericks partition as the source, and the new partition you just made as the destination. Apply changes. Then reboot and hold option to choose the first Mavericks partition. After that it should be pretty easy.

6. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Where are your backups?

Or do you not care if you lose everything? :)

7. shonboy thread starter macrumors newbie

Done it..

Actually i made a new partition as you suggested on the first slot and transferred what i needed than deleted the second one. Well i didn't have much files to save and most of those i care about were in the cloud. I could resize it to full hdd than and all is well now, except that for some reason on my Mavericks desktop i don't see my bootcamp drive as an icon but anyway...I can't believe that something so simple as resizing a secondary partition is impossible to do :S