Help with PCI Slots

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Bigpurp, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Bigpurp macrumors member

Hello everyone, I'm in need of some guidance. It took me a little while to get my GTX280 into the 1st slot in my mac pro but I'm just wondering,

In order to boot into os x can I just leave the 280 in the 1st slot and put the old 7300 gt in the 2nd slot ?

Then I can turn the power off from the 280 and it will default to the 2nd slot rite? Or must I remove the bottom (280) card for the older card to work?

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Shouldn't matter which slot you install the card into, the host OS will find it. But you do know it won't work in MacOSX right? Unless it's been flashed for Mac.

3. Bigpurp thread starter macrumors member

ya im on vista 64 bit rite now under bootcamp running it fine but I mite go back to 32 bit so im just wondering if I power off the card n plug the other 1 in I can boot rite to os x

4. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

You can have both cards in, shouldn't cause any issues provided you disable the other one from the PC Devices list, this way Windows won't load drivers for it... Though you'll need to unplug and re-plug in the display, unless you have one for each platform. Your Mac will simply ignore your GTX280, cause it doesn't know what it is.

5. Bigpurp thread starter macrumors member

kk ty thats what I was hoping

Have u heard of any conflics with 64 bit vista and these cards? My ram usage seems to go high in 64 bit, lowering my fps in some games..hopefully going to 32 will help.

6. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Sorry, don't know much about Vista 64 though it will see and use what ever memory you have installed. The 32bit version is only limited to 4Gb as that's the maximum it can physically address.

7. nanofrog macrumors G4

There's always a KVM switch. ;)