Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flinch13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Hi all, I've been having loads of trouble getting my Powerbook G4 to read my SanDisk 2gb Extreme III with this no-name PCMCIA card adapter I've got. Both are clearly recognized by my mac, as a little thingy pops up in the menu bar on the right hand side with a menu that says "SanDisk" and "SDP" (both of which are grayed out) and a final option that says "Power off Card". These cards are also recognized by the system profiler. However, it refuses to mount!! What gives? The card is good, it plugs into my printer and reads just fine, but I'm going on a trip soon and I'll need to access my card on the go.

Can anyone help? I'd really like to get this thing to work. Thanks!!

Shaduu

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2007
Southsea
Hmm, that's quite odd. I recently bought a Jessops PCMCIA CF reader which shows and mounts any CF card I put it in.

The only things that pop to mind are is the PCMCIA card itself fully in the slot? If it is it should sit flush with the exterior of your PowerBook. The other would be you have a faulty reader. If you can find another PCMCIA slot-equipped Mac you could test the reader on that Mac to determine whether it's working or not.

flinch13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
The only things that pop to mind are is the PCMCIA card itself fully in the slot? If it is it should sit flush with the exterior of your PowerBook. The other would be you have a faulty reader. If you can find another PCMCIA slot-equipped Mac you could test the reader on that Mac to determine whether it's working or not.

Sound advice. Unfortunately, the card is seated correctly in the PCMCIA card, and the whole kit is flush with the exterior of the powerbook. In addition, I don't have access to another computer with a PCMCIA slot. Boo.

I'm basically blaming this on Leopard... I need an update to fix the myriad issues I've been facing.

Shaduu

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2007
Southsea
Sound advice. Unfortunately, the card is seated correctly in the PCMCIA card, and the whole kit is flush with the exterior of the powerbook. In addition, I don't have access to another computer with a PCMCIA slot. Boo.

I'm basically blaming this on Leopard... I need an update to fix the myriad issues I've been facing.

Yeah, it could be driver/OS based although I wouldn't have thought a no name PCMCIA card required extra drivers.

Anyhoo, good luck troubleshooting. :)

andy5000

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2006
just a suggestion, the card is formated to be read on a mac isnt it? i thought i had a dodgy card reader but then found the card and card reader worked in windows. reformatted in windows to fat32 and it works in mac now.worth a try.
hope you get it sorted

Shaduu

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2007
Southsea
just a suggestion, the card is formated to be read on a mac isnt it? i thought i had a dodgy card reader but then found the card and card reader worked in windows. reformatted in windows to fat32 and it works in mac now.worth a try.
hope you get it sorted

I thought this at first but then realised most cameras auto-format cards to a FAT filesystem anyway. That being said, it's always worth a shot.

andy5000

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2006
mine was formatted to fat format, but wouldnt recognise it unless in mac unless i formatted to fat32.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.