Help with personal hotspot (via BT)

Discussion in 'iOS 5 and earlier' started by Captainobvvious, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Captainobvvious macrumors 6502

I just broke down and paid the extra money for the personal hotspot plan with AT&T.

What I was HOPING for was an on demand Bluetooth tethering functionality.

When I open my iPad it pairs and when I lock it it disconnects and doesn't keep the tether active.

I have them both tethered now and have my iPad locked in the other room but my iPhone still has the blue banner that says "Personal Hotspot 1 connection"

Do I have to:

a) Put up with this annoying blue banner all the time
    b) Disconnect the bluetooth every time I want to tether

I was hoping for something I didn't have to think about. My phone in my pocket doing nothing, then when I open my iPad BAM internet connection without hassle...

Is that hoping for too much?

2. Arelunde macrumors 6502a

Arelunde

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

When I've tethered iPhone4 to iPad2, I have to connect via the iPhone each time I turn on the iPad from a lock screen. Only takes a second or two after the initial connection has been established.

I'm on Vz and only tether when traveling. There is a data limit with tethering even if you have an unlimited plan, so it's probably a way to conserve. However, I have to say this data limit for tethering seems something new.