Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richxps

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
I have 7k photos and it's taking up 16gb is that possible?? Did not have this issue with my iPad 2

Lunchb0x8

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Quirindi, NSW, AU
I am thinking, and I could be wrong, that the photos are not being copressed for the new iPad as much as they would have been on the original or 2.

Find the files for the photos (probably stored under masters in the iPhoto Library container) and see how much space those files use there, if close to 16GB or higher, then you have your answer.

DS3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2011
If you really want to save space you could always do some mass compressing of the source files.

Or not synch 7,000 photos 0.o

richxps

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
Is there any way to compress them so it would not take up so much space ?

Lunchb0x8

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Quirindi, NSW, AU
Depends, I am unsure of apps on Mac, haven't bothered looking, sorry.

But for windows, there are mass compression tools built in to Win7 and available as powertools apps for winxp.

You can highlight all photos (i recommend only about 50 at a time) and compress them to a preset limit.

jburns

macrumors regular
May 1, 2007
NC-USA
I have 7k photos and it's taking up 16gb is that possible?? Did not have this issue with my iPad 2

It sure is possible depending on what you took them with. Just curious about why you would want 7000 photos on your iPad. I have way more than that but created a directory in iPhoto called "Favorites" that I synch to my iPad. Yesterday when I was setting my iPad up and for the fun of it I checked "share all photos, albums, events, and faces". I was immediately advised that my 64 gig iPad did not have enough room.

richxps

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
I guess I should go through my pics and remove some.but I had the same amount on the iPad 2 and it only used around 8 gig.

kdoug

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2010
Iowa City, IA USA
I'm having the same problem. On my iPad 2 64 gb I had ove 30 gb of space left with music and photos. Now I have less than 15 gg if I sync my pictures. I'll leave photos off for now until apple gets this figured out.

richxps

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
Glad I'm not alone, hope apple is aware.im going to send them a email about this as well.

DS3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2011
Glad I'm not alone, hope apple is aware.im going to send them a email about this as well.

I doubt its an error. I'd estimate photos were compressed to about retina resolution on the iPad 2 to shrink their size but maintain the ability to zoom in reasonably.

For the iPad 3, obviously that would merely be the native resolution and they'd have to allow for at least double the res for zooming in and showing off iPhoto, which is probably just leaving them at their full size.

If you want them to be smaller, create a separate folder for photos you want on your iPad and compress the files yourself. Or don't synch every photo you have...

Why don't you guys just check the size of your photo folder on your pc/mac. I bet its the same as whats on the iPad. Minus the extra images you may have from the iPad itself (photos, screenshots, iamges apps save out) or an iPhone photostream and such.

Last edited:

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011

sounds like the new ipad is upsizing each photo's resolution to 2048x1536

i can see that this could be a major issue that impacts storage. please keep us updated on the outcome.

EricN95033

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2006
Boulder Creek, CA
Help with photo space on new iPad

I just got a new 128 GB iPad. My old 64 GB had about 10% left in terms of space. The new one is immediately full, with photos. I only have about 10% left on a new system with twice the memory. This is interesting math to say the least. Double the memory but keep the same usage ratios. I used to fire people for this kind of nonsense. I am scoping out how to deal with it. I have not been able to find a way to control the bulk image compression on the new iPad. The Apple software people are not what they used to be. My CS students have more sense than this (grumble grumble).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.